This quintessential Paleo snack turned edible craft has become a Halloween tradition in my home. And, while the Paleo version of these Monster Mouths is incredibly versatile, it felt important to share this creative AIP version because it’s so fun-to-make, fun-to-eat, tasty and made with nutrient-dense, healthy ingredients! I guess that makes in win-win-win-win! Lol!
For the marshmallow eyes, I recommend either using Sweet Apricity marshmallows cut in half, or making your own using my Halloween AIP Marshmallow Ghosts recipe. You can also use grapes or dried fruit for eyes if you prefer! Also, if visuals for the instructions below would help you, you find those in my original Monster Mouths recipe.
Looking for more healthy homemade Halloween treats? I’m sharing my favorites every week this month! Check out:
- Halloween AIP Marshmallow Ghosts
- Halloween AIP Monster Finger Cookies
- Monster Mouths – A fun edible craft!
Halloween AIP Monster Mouths
Yield 16 mouths
- 4 red apples
- Toasted coconut butter (raw coconut butter will work too, but it will make for a white “mouth” instead of brown) or tigernut butter (check out options at ShopAIP.com)
- 32 mini marshmallows (Sweet Apricity or make your own using this recipe)
- Tigernuts sliced in quarters
- 3-4 strawberries, thinly sliced (optional)
You'll also need:
- A sharp paring knife
- A spreading knife
- Cut your apple(s) into quarters. Then cut the core off in a straight line. If you have a variety of apple that browns, brush all the cut parts with lemon juice right after you cut them. Some varieties (usually the harder ones like Fuji) don’t brown as easily, so for those, lemon juice won’t be needed.
- Cut a wedge out of the peel side of each quarter. To do this, cut parallel to your edge, about 1/2′′ in, aiming for where you think your knife will meet from the other side. Then do the other side, and pry out your wedge. It looks trickier than it is. If you’re not confident in your knife skills, have an extra apple on hand, but your probably won’t need it. Also, if visuals would help you, you find those in my original Monster Mouths recipe.
- Insert two toothpicks (or more, maybe your monster mouth has three eyes!) into one “lip”. Where the toothpick comes out at the back end will help stabilize the monster mouths and give you a nice place to stick your eyes! Stick one mini marshmallow on each toothpick for an eye. Don’t want to use marshmallows? Try grapes, or cut eye shapes out of your reserved apple wedges!
- Spread toasted coconut butter all over the mouth. If your coconut butter is solid, make sure to heat it up a little bit to make it spreadable.
- Stick in some tigernut teeth. It helps to stick the pointy end of the tigernut into the flesh of the apple slightly. The coconut butter will solidify if your house isn’t too warm, and that will also help to hold the “teeth” in place.
- Place a strawberry between the “teeth” on the bottom of the mouth to add a tongue (optional, but fun!).