On this episode, Stacy and I answer a question from our listener (also named Sarah) who asks about managing her symptoms while breastfeeding, and being worried about losing weight on AIP. There are so many things to consider when becoming a parent, including ensuring that your body is providing the nutrients for your child’s development. But equally important is remembering to replenish your own body to prevent nutrient deficiencies! Stacy and I are not doctors and we emphasize the importance of first working with your practitioner to get a proper diagnosis while simultaneously feeding your body the nutrients it needs.
Stacy and I talk through some of our personal experiences, how to be AIP while breastfeeding, and the misconception that the AIP is low carb. Also, I discuss some of the key nutrients that are often deficient in lactating individuals (spoiler, they are calcium, zinc, magnesium, vitamin E and B vitamins) and which foods can support these deficiencies. Sarah, we hope this episode helps to clarify some things for you; and to you and all of our listeners in a similar position, you are doing an amazing job, and you are a super mom!
If you enjoy the show, please review it on iTunes!
Recommended Reading and Listening
- TPV Episode 338: Integrative, Functional, or Naturopathic?
- TPV Podcast Episode 377: Common Misconceptions about the AIP
- AIP FAQ: Carbohydrate Intake on the Autoimmune Protocol
- TPV Episode 359: Should I be tracking my macronutrients?
- TWV Episode 461: Oats-M-G, Are These Actually Healthy?)
- TWV Podcast Episode 409: Let’s Talk About Magnesium
- TWV Podcast Episode 437: Intro To Nutrivore
- TWV Podcast Episode 442: How Do I Know what Dietary Protocol to Start with?
- Paleo for Pregnancy and Lactation
Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Nutritional Status During Pregnancy and Lactation. Nutrition During Lactation. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 1991. 9, Meeting Maternal Nutrient Needs During Lactation. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK235579/