I think pork shoulder is quickly becoming my favorite cut of pork, maybe even my favorite cut of any meat. It’s so full of flavor, and when cooked low-and-slow, it becomes meltingly tender. And bonus? It’s very affordable. I also love cooking huge hunks of meat. I’m a Leftover Girl (yeah, I’m figuring that’s a proper noun) and can very happily eat the same meal several days in a row, especially when it’s as delicious as this pork! You could of course reinvent the leftovers of this pork with some your favorite barbecue sauce (have you tried my AIP recipe for Barbecue Sauce yet?) and my Nut-Free Sesame Hamburger Buns for some Sloppy Joes, or use my Paleo Crepes recipe to make wraps if you want a different-feeling meal for your leftovers.
Yes, this recipe uses a smoker. Don’t have a smoker? They are less expensive and easier to use than you think! I really enjoy smoking (I mean food!), but until I was given the opportunity to review a Smoke Vault, I was completely intimidated by the idea. But after jumping in with both feet, I now find it a very easy cooking method and one that yields so much flavor that I now prefer to smoke rather than barbecue. They are easy to set-up, relatively hands-off, easy to clean up afterward (at least my Smoke Vault is!).
200+ Healthy and Delicious Recipes
20 Meal Plans for a variety of goals
I LOVE this book. The science is awesome. I’ve learned a ton without feeling overwhelmed. The paleo principles just takes my understanding to the next level!!!
If you don’t have a smoker, but want a great deal on a great one:
Use the coupon code PALEOMOM15 at OutdoorCooking.com for 15% Off Camp Chef products from 9/15-10/11
As an alternative, you can also use the instructions in Beyond Bacon to make your own smoker very inexpensively!
Want a chance to win a Smoke Vault???
Of course you do! If you’re looking at this mouthwatering recipe and wishing you owned a smoker, then scroll to the bottom of this post to enter my current giveaway worth over $1000 that includes a Smoke Vault! Woot!!!!
Okay, back to this recipe. It’s very simple. Rub some seasonings on some pork, put it in the smoker, a few hours later you have dinner. I’m currently in love with cherry chips for smoking, but you can use any wood chips you happen to have on hand. This seasoning mix would work great with hickory or mesquite wood chips too!
Note that this recipe is nightshade-free, but because it contains seed-based spices, it is not 100% compliant with the autoimmune protocol.
Yield: 8-10 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time 4-6 hours
- 7-8 pounds pork shoulder (bone in or boneless, 1 large or 2 medium)
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp evaporated cane juice (aka sucanat) or muscovado sugar
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- Preheat the smoker to 250F following the manufacturer’s directions.
- Combine all of the seasonings together. Pat your pork shoulder dry with paper towel. Rub the seasoning very thickly all over the surface of the pork, the thicker the better.
- Place your pork shoulder on a rack in the middle of the smoker. Smoke for 6 hours if using 1 large shoulder, 4-4.5 hours if using 2 medium shoulders.
GIVEAWAY! Valued at over $1000!!!!
I’m giving away some of my favorite kitchen tools and some great gift certificates to help you get started cooking from The Paleo Approach Cookbook at home!
A big thank you to the amazing companies who are sponsoring this giveaway!!!!
- Outdoor Cooking: Smoke Vault valued at $282
- Gunter Wilhelm Executive Chef Series 7” Santoku Chef Knife and Gunter Wilhelm Executive Chef Series 3.5″ Paring Knife valued at $105
- Cuisinart Portable Blending/Chopping system valued at $130
- Digital food scale valued at $60
- Meat Thermometer valued at $40
- Next Millennium Farms: 1 pound (454 gram) bag of organic cricket flour valued at $50
- $300 Tropical Traditions Gift Certificate
- $50 Massa Natural Meats Gift Certificate
Bonus savings for everyone!
- Use the coupon code PALEOMOM15 at OutdoorCooking.com for 15% Off Camp Chef products from 9/15-10/11
Who can enter:
This giveaway is open to residents of the continental USA only. Unfortunately, shipping limitations mean that these prizes can only be shipped to the contiguous 48 states.
How to Enter:
It’s easy! There’s tons of ways to enter so there’s something for everyone! Simply enter below! Remember to come back daily to tweet again for bonus entries!