Plantain lasagna? Really? Yes! And what a delicious and comforting meal! Perfect for this time of year! This is another recipe modified from one that Gloria sent me (thank you Gloria!). I made this for my mother-in-law’s birthday while she was visiting and it was a hit! My mother-in-law was amazed—mostly at how you don’t even miss the cheese with the combination of egg and plantain. It’s quite filling and my husband was delighted with a freezer full of leftovers to bring to work for lunch.
Prep time: 10 minutes
200+ Healthy and Delicious Recipes
20 Meal Plans for a variety of goals
I LOVE this book. The science is awesome. I’ve learned a ton without feeling overwhelmed. The paleo principles just takes my understanding to the next level!!!Janet
Cook time: 90 minutes
- 6 ripe plantains (should be nearly completely black)
- 8 eggs
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 medium yellow onion
- ½ cup red pepper, diced
- ½ cup green pepper, diced
- ½ cup of chicken broth
- ½ cup dry wine (white or red)
- 4-5 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small (6oz) can tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp salt, to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper, to taste
- 3-4 Tbsp coconut oil
- Heat a saucepan over medium high heat. Add 1 Tbsp of coconut oil and ground beef garlic, red and green pepper, onions and bay leaf. Brown the beef, breaking up with a large spoon, 8-10 minutes.
- Add broth, wine, and tomato paste. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for 10-20 minutes while frying the plantains, stirring occasionally. Before adding to your pastelon, add ¼ tsp salt, to taste, depending on how seasoned your broth is.
- Now would be a good time to preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cut the plantains in half and peel. Next cut each half into ¼”-thick slices (about 4 slices per plantain—it’s okay if they aren’t all evenly thick).
- Heat 1-2 Tbsp coconut oil in a frying pan or skillet or griddle (more if using cast iron or stainless steel, less if using non-stick). Place the slices into the hot oil and fry 3-4 minutes per side to lightly brown. Set aside. (You will probably have to work in batches, topping up the coconut oil in the pan between each batch).
- Beat or whisk 4 eggs (you may wish to add a dash of salt and pepper). Pour onto the bottom of a large rectangular casserole dish or lasagna pan. Place in oven for 6-7 minutes until set, but not completely cooked. Remove the pan from the oven and prick the eggs with a fork several times all over the surface. (Alternatively, you could cook in the microwave for about 1 minute).
- Lay half of your fried plantain slices over the egg in a solid layer (like noodles). Pour the meat sauce over the plantain layer (spread out to a uniform layer). Next layer the rest of the plantain slices over the top of the meat sauce (like your second layer of noodles).
- Beat or whisk the last 4 eggs (again, you may wish to add a dash of salt and pepper) and pour over the top of the pastelon.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before eating. Enjoy!
Watch this video from my YouTube Channel to learn more about green plantains: