First off, I have to specially thank one of my twitter followers, @Paleoanton, who originally sent me this authentic recipe for Swedish meatballs.
Meatballs are a kid (and grown-up) favorite, but often require grain-based fillers and binders. Swedish meatballs are a minimally spiced version (my husband calls them boring, but I vehemently disagree), so you really get to just enjoy the flavor of good meat. They are typically served in gravy, often with something like plain noodles on the side. I like them with some braised cabbage and sautéed mushrooms. I made these with grass-fed beef and they were delicious!
200+ Healthy and Delicious Recipes
20 Meal Plans for a variety of goals
I LOVE this book. The science is awesome. I’ve learned a ton without feeling overwhelmed. The paleo principles just takes my understanding to the next level!!!
A note about arrowroot powder: Arrowroot powder is a great thickener (made from a tuber). It doesn’t lump and doesn’t alter the flavor. When you first add it, it will seem cloudy, but it will turn translucent as it cooks. The resulting gravy is clearer than what you’re used to, but still thick and tastes great.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 3-4 (16 meatballs)
Guide to Nutrivore e-book
Nutrivore is the simple yet revolutionary concept:
Choose foods to meet the body’s nutritional needs!
I’m very excited about the Nutrivore information! Thank you so much for all your research and hard work you put into this kind of information for all of us to use!!
- 1 lb lean ground beef (grass-fed is preferred for this recipe)
- 1 medium yellow onion, very finely diced
- 1 Tbsp tallow or coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/8 tsp salt, to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add oil and onion and sauté until completely cooked, approximately 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl (I find it easiest to use my hands). Form 1 ½” meatballs by hand and place on prepared baking sheet (you should get approximately 16 meatballs).
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
The Nutrivore Collection
Save $10 on Guide to Nutrivore and the Nutrivore Weekly Serving Matrix!
I never realized how important nutrients are and how intricately the body works! I can’t thank you enough for sharing all your knowledge and insights.
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth (homemade is great if you have it)
- ½ Tbsp grass-fed butter or tallow
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder
- Place broth and butter in the skillet that the onions were cooked in. Stir in the arrowroot powder. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Stir frequently until thick, approximately 3-4 minutes.
- Toss meatballs in gravy (including any juices from the baking sheet) and enjoy!
You may enjoy these related posts:
Turkish (Hidden Liver) Meatballs with Paleo Cacik
One of the things I love about these meatballs is that almost everything can be …
Meatballs with Asian Dipping Sauce
As I try and incorporate more and more grass-fed meat into my family’s diet, I …
My first attempt at a Paleo-friendly gravy was way back on my very first …
Guest Post by Vibrant Life Army Wife – Sage and Fennel Meatballs
Kiersten is a 20 something self proclaimed nutrition nerd with a love for real …
Meatball and Winter Squash Casserole
Winter squash is coming into season and there’s something about this delightful …
Herb-Crusted Roast Beef with Paleo Yorkshire Puddings and Gravy
I used to be quite famous (er, among my family members but I’m still sticking …
Nut-Free Sesame Hamburger Buns
I have a secret. I actually have always preferred my hamburgers sans bun. So, …
AIP-Friendly “Spaghetti” and Meatballs
Over the past year and a half of my autoimmune protocol journey, I have …
Dark Chocolate Shortbread Cookies (Sandies or Meltaways)
These dark chocolate shortbread cookies were actually an accident. They were one …
Curry-Braised Kale and Cabbage
One of my biggest challenges with eating Paleo is keeping variety in vegetable …
The Paleo Mom’s Thanksgiving Side Dish and Dessert Recipe Round-Up
Thanksgiving is just a few days away and I know that many of you are frantically …
Vanilla Layer Cake with Dark Chocolate Frosting (Nut-Free and Makes Great Cupcakes Too!)
Of all of my cake recipes, this is my favorite so far. The cake flavor and …