Once you master homemade paleo mayonnaise (often called paleonnaise), a whole new world of salad dressings and dips opens up to you. That’s why this recipe post is a two-for-one. My recipe for paleo mayo is not much different than the dozens of other versions of paleo mayonnaise out there. I like the combination of olive oil and avocado oil (which is about one quarter the price online), but you can use either one. I like to use two egg yolks instead of one whole egg (because I’m avoiding egg whites), but either will work. If eating raw eggs gives you the heebie jeebies, you can buy pasteurized eggs for this recipe. You can also use mustard powder instead of dijon, if you prefer (I would try 1-1½ tsp). It’s fastest to use a blender or food processor, but be careful of the heat of the motor. My first batch of paleo mayo using my blender was working great until the motor heated up the mayo and it completely melted and was ruined. Use the lowest speed and give your motor breaks if you think you might have this problem. You can also make mayo by hand (it’s a great forearm workout), which typically takes 15-20 minutes (compared to 2-4 minutes with a blender or food processor).
Ingredients (Paleo Mayo):
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup Avocado Oil
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- ½ Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 egg yolks
1. Combine olive oil and avocado oil in a measuring cup (or other good vessel for controlled pouring).
2. Place lemon juice, vinegar, mustard and egg yolks in food processor or blender. Process until creamy (maybe 15 seconds?).
3. With blender or food processor still running, VERY slowly dribble in the oil (think of it taking at least 3 minutes to add in all of the oil). It should stay thick and gradually get lighter and lighter (and look more and more like mayonnaise) as you add the oil.
4. I typically like to pour out my mayonnaise into a bowl and whip it by hand with a whisk at the end just to make sure all the oil is well incorporated (if you have a really good food processor, you probably won’t need to do this). You now have paleo mayo!!!
Ingredients (Ranch Dip):
- ½ cup Paleo Mayo
- 2 Tbsp Creamed Coconut diluted into 4 Tbsp hot water, cooled
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp fresh thyme
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp ground Pepper
1. Add diluted creamed coconut and spices to a small food processor or blender. Process until smooth. Chill in the fridge if there is any residual heat from diluting the creamed coconut.
2. Stir in Paleo Mayo. Enjoy as a salad dressing or veggie dip!
Do you need help finding any ingredients? Check out Important Pantry Items for the Paleo Baker.