In this episode, Stacy and Sarah discuss dairy and it’s place in the Paleo framework. Neither of them actually consume any dairy and explain their reasons why. What do you do if you want to live a lifestyle without dairy? What do you drink and what do you eat to replace those nutrients. Can this even be done? Stacy and Sarah help you figure it all out!
Listen in iTunes
or download and listen by clicking the PodBean player below
If you enjoy the show, please review it in iTunes!
The Paleo View (TPV), Episode 11: What’s Up With Dairy?
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 1:18 – News and Views
- Pork chops compliments of Mount Vernon Farm
- Sarah’s post on the fun run is here
- Handstand month!
- Why We Gave Up the Cow by Paleo Parents
- For more on the relationship between dairy and colic, read this Kelly Mom article
- Addictive opioids in dairy?
- Epiglottis? It’s that thing in your throat that is not the tonsils or the uvula.
- The condition Sarah’s daughter had is laryngomalacia
- She discusses the issues she had converting her children off of dairy here
- 35:34 – Science with Sarah: What’s in dairy that’s potentially problematic?
- The Great Dairy Debate post
- The Paleo Answer
- Chris Kresser on dairy here and here
- The prevalence of lactose intolerance
- Cross reactivity with gluten sensitivity from GoDairyFree
- It’s actually camel and donkey milk that are seen as the best alternative to human milk
- But horse milk is actually quite common in Central Asia. Mongol warriors always rode mares into battle and drank their milk on long campaigns, even fermenting it into airag, which they used to get quite drunk.
- 48:07 – Questions and answers
- 48:07 – How do I supplement calcium and vitamin D without dairy? Should I supplement zinc and magnesium as well?
- 56:05 -What do you give your kids instead of milk?
- Natural Value Coconut Milk
- Aroy-D Coconut Milk
- Chocolate Coconut Milk cartons
- We recommend making your own ice cream!
- Sarah’s coconut milk recipe
- Weston A. Price baby formula recipes (the liver formula has no dairy and they all have scientific commentary by Chris Masterjohn, the master of all johns)
- Sunflower seed butter
- 1:08:23 – What do you give your kids to eat at meals?
- 1:12:57 – Are there preferred or better dairy products to consume?
- As an aside straight from Matt, any time I hear this argument about just keeping a little bit of a food you react badly to in your diet, it sounds like an underwear gnomes plan. Phase 1: Eat just a little bit of a food that you know will make you sick. Phase 2: ? Phase 3: Profit.
- 1:20:57 – Is low temperature vat pasteurization milk okay to drink, even for someone who is lactose intolerant? What shortcuts do you use in terms of products?
- 1:34:36 – Outro