In this episode, Stacy and Sarah talk poop! They discuss how you can tell if your digestion is in shape and what to do if it’s not.
Click here to listen in iTunes
or download and listen by clicking the PodBean Player below
Nutrivore Weekly Serving Matrix
An easy-to-use and flexible weekly checklist
to help you maximize nutrient-density.
The Weekly Serving Matrix is very helpful! I’ve been eating along these lines but this really helps me know where to focus vs. which foods serve a more secondary role. It’s super helpful and has taken a lot of worry out of my meal planning. Thanks!
If you enjoy the show, please review it in iTunes!
The Paleo View (TPV), Episode 268: How Do I Know if My Gut is Healthy?
- Intro (0:00)
- News and Views (0:41)
- The phrase is: “Trying to get credit for things you’re supposed to do.” It was inspired by a profane Chris Rock bit from Bigger and Blacker.
- Stacy has become a big fan of Felix Gray computer glasses! They are awesome!
- This week our topic is all about gut health! Stacy is SO into it!
- We have a lot of questions about it, probably because the topic is so taboo in polite society.
- Genia says, “How do you tell if you have an unhealthy gut? What are the best things I can start doing now to start working on my gut health? I am very new to Paleo and there is a lot of info out there. Thank you for any info or tips. Also I am slowly listening to your past podcast. What do you think are the best episodes for a newbie to listen to first?” (8:26)
- Don’t listen to our first Mark Sisson episode where Sarah fangirled all over him. (Do listen to that!)
- What Do I Do After a Bad Reaction
- Stefani Ruper’s shows are Episode 80, Episode 87, Episode 6, and Strong Woman Radio 25
- Denise Minger is here and here
- And check out our Paleo 101 series here.
- At home gut health tests are in Paleo Principles and on The Paleo Mom.
- Gastrointestinal symptom checklist:
- pain or straining
- undigested food
- blood in the stool (dark clotted blood. bright blood is from anal fissures probably)
- If you notice your digestion, there’s probably something wrong.
- Normal frequency is 3 times per day to 3 times per week.
- Sarah is a fan of Dr. Jeff Leach from the Human Food Project.
- Stacy reminds herself that only humans are embarassed by poop this way.
- Compare your poop to the Bristol Stool Scale. You should consistently at level 3 or 4.
- Transit time test: eat something you can see in your stool like corn or sesame seeds or beets. Time from eating to pooping. Ideally between 12-48 hours.
- If your concerned, see a doctor. They can do more tests like stool analysis, colonoscopy, biopsy, etc.
- If you don’t need a doctor’s care, then you probably need to change your diet.
- Increase fruits and vegetables. It’s the fiber.
- Increase Omega-3 fat intake.
- Lower saturated fat
- Eating fermented foods, especially wild fermented.
- Some nutrients help form the intestinal junctions: fiber, quercitin, burburein, zinc, and glycine.
- Don’t get overwhelmed by feeling like you need to do everything at once! Take it steps at a time.
- Focus on nutrient density and everything else can follow. Is this food helping my health, hurting my health or neutral?
- DO NOT SEND US PICTURES OF YOUR POOP!
- Rate and review us. Goodbye!
- Outro (46:45)
Support us by shopping through links on our sidebars, please!
Become a Member for FREE!
The Paleo Mom Members’ Area is resource central!
You’ll get FREE, unlimited access to dozens of quality resources, including introductory series, downloadable e-books, exclusive recipes, printables, videos and guides!
You may enjoy these related posts:
TPV Podcast Episode 236, Hemorrhoid Horror
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah tackle hemorrhoids and what to do about them, …
TPV Podcast, Episode 150: A Look Back
On this episode of The Paleo View, Stacy and Sarah take a look back at the past …
TPV Podcast Episode 234, Will I Have to Supplement Forever?
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah talk about supplements and nutrient …
TPV Podcast, Episode 161, Constipation
On this episode of The Paleo View, Stacy and Sarah cover the very important …
TPV Podcast, Episode 189, Women’s Health Q&A
On this episode of The Paleo View, Stacy and Sarah talk about women’s health and …
5 Gut Health Tests You Can Do at Home
With digestive disorders and microbiome issues making the headlines left and …
TWV Podcast Episode 419: Corn is a gut superfood? No way!
Welcome to episode 419 of The Whole View. This week Stacy and Sarah discuss the …
TPV Episode 29 Show Notes: Weight Loss with Paleo, Part 3
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah talk about losing weight again, one of our most …
TPV Podcast, Episode 80: Stefani Ruper
In this episode Stacy and Sarah are joined by Stefani Ruper of Paleo for Women, …
TPV Podcast, Episode 293: Do I Have to Be Gluten-Free Forever?
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah talk about if a little gluten now and then is …
TPV Podcast Episode 252, How Do I Lose Weight With My Restrictions Without Going Low Carb?
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah discuss losing weight without going low carbs …
TWV Podcast Episode 442: How Do I Know what Dietary Protocol to Start with?
This week on The Whole View, Stacy and I answer Shirley’s question about …