First of all, a warm welcome to the newest Paleo Parents Team member, Monica of ThePaleos! Monica will be helping Paleo Parents organize some of the administrative chaos of the blog in an effort for Matt & Stacy to spend more time on blog content and spending time together. As a side effect, she’s also helping me because she is taking over some of the essential podcast jobs, like show notes!
PLEASE comment welcoming Monica, and if there’s ANYTHING more you’d like out of the show notes (or blog in general) please let us know – since we’ve got some help we’re ready for (reasonable) requests! FYI, transcripts aren’t reasonable (yet) … sorry.
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah invite Mira and Jayson Calton, authors of Rich Food, Poor Food and Naked Calories, to share suggestions on nutrient dense Paleo convenience foods. Learn about beverages that support your health, how to prepare your pantry for storms and power outages, and how to fuel your family in healthy ways while on the road or in the woods.
Listen in iTunes
or download and listen by clicking the PodBean player below
If you enjoy the show, please review it in iTunes!
The Paleo View (TPV), Episode 35: Paleo Convenience Foods
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 1:19 – News & Views
- And just so you know, ALL episodes can now be downloaded from iTunes!
- Book writing and editing updates (Pre-order Beyond Bacon and The Paleo Approach!)
- Paleo View Team side project tease
- Extra podcast available through Jimmy Moore’s Livin’ La Vida Lo-Carb Blog
The episode is an intro to the autoimmune protocol
- Sarah’s new home-office toy: the treadmill desk
- Our Guests!
- 34:20 – Science with Sarah: The role of vitamin D in the body
- How the body synthesizes vitamin D and what it impacts
- We produce vitamin D from the sun, but also get it from rich sources of food
- Foods with high levels of vitamin D are seafood, eggs from pasture raised chickens, and pasture raised animals
- Recent studies have been released on the crucial role that vitamin D plays while pregnant
- Every major disease is linked to vitamin D deficiencies in some capacity
- The role that vitamin D plays on melatonin production
- Micro-nutrient competitors and synergies for vitamin D
- 50:41 – Q&A
- Joseph: What are some nutrient dense beverage ideas? Specifically looking to satisfy a sweet tooth through drinks with meals.
- (1:02:24) Stephen: What would you recommend for preparing for a bad storm?
- Prepare your grill if you know a storm is coming and cook things as they thaw
- Remove ice cubes and bag them to create a mini fridge in a cooler
- Prepare to catch your own food, think fishing pole and traps
- Consider a backup generator and a crockpot that plugs into the car
- Pantry staples: dates, nuts and seeds, Paleo Kits, jerky, hard salami, BPA-free canned vegetables, Native Forest canned fruits, Natural Value products, canned tuna fish and sardines, coconut oil
- Store items in dark, cool, dry places and containers
- (1:12:08) Linda: What would you recommend for Paleo non-perishables?
- Make wraps to replace sandwiches (non-GMA corn tortillas, lettuce, Pure Wraps)
- Replace peanut butters with more nutrient dense nut and seed butters, like macadamia butter
- Make jerky or purchase Paleo Kits or hard salami
- Shredded, roasted chicken and fresh fruit are great options, and very kid friendly
- Hard boiled eggs
- Grain-free granola bars and baked goods (Paleo Parents granola, Paleo Parents ‘On the Go’ resources page, The Paleo Mom granola, The Paleo Mom nut-free Paleo chewy granola bars, additional baked goods recipes from The Paleo Mom)
- Check out the coupons at caltonnutrition.com
- 1:22:14 – Outro
Monica is the latest member of the Paleo Parents Team! Raised in a full-on hippy house, she was taught to love the land and the animals that feed from it. From old school hog butcherings to berry farm harvesting treks, her parents showed that health began with food choices. However, her teen years brought her down a rebellious path with food and she began to struggle with the world of weight-gain, yo-yo diets, and eating in secret. It wasn’t until her husband nudged her in the direction of the Primal Blueprint that she learned how to break my unhealthy cycle.
Now she is carving out her own hippy life and learning how to raise a Paleo family in our modern-day grain and sugar crazed world. Monica can be found at thePaleos.com as well as Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest .