In this episode, Stacy and Sarah tackle a variety of questions that seem to come up all the time and definitively answer them for you. Can you eat quinoa? Can you do Paleo as a vegetarian, or without grass fed meat? And what about pork? Is it inherently unhealthy like the Weston A. Price Foundation claims? Find out these answers and more this week!
Listen in iTunes
or download and listen by clicking the PodBean player below
Nutrivore Weekly Serving Matrix
An easy-to-use and flexible weekly checklist
to help you maximize nutrient-density.
The Weekly Serving Matrix is very helpful! I’ve been eating along these lines but this really helps me know where to focus vs. which foods serve a more secondary role. It’s super helpful and has taken a lot of worry out of my meal planning. Thanks!
Download this episode (right click and save)
If you enjoy the show, please review it in iTunes!
The Paleo View (TPV), Episode 30: Basic Paleo FAQ
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 1:19 – News & Views
- Beyond Bacon is done!
- Aimee, the genius
- Thanks for the feedback, Primal Palate and Primal Toad!
- The Eastern Market on Capitol Hill
- The National Zoo
- The Paleo Approach is going to be huge!
- 17:10 – Science with Sarah: Is stevia a good sugar substitute?
- Mark has a good review of Preemptive Insulin Release and says, essentially, maybe.
- Sarah on stevia
- 28:54 – Q&A
- Can I eat gluten-free pasta or rice on Paleo?
- Rice is a “Safe Starch” according to the Perfect Health Diet, but not a Paleo or primal choice
- 32:57 – Will Paleo help with anxiety, panic attacks, and depression? Can I eat quinoa?
- All three of us had issues with anxiety and depression, much improved with a clean diet!
- Quinoa is still found on Paleo Parents, even though we haven’t eaten it in years now.
- 39:46 – Can I eat Advocare Spark ok to drink? Can you eat roasted and salted pistachios?
- Blemish Serum from Primal Life Organics
- Advocare Spark seems okay, but wouldn’t you rather get vitamins and minerals from food?
- Caffeine is problematic from Sarah
- 46:13 – Chestnut Flour
- 47:44 – What coconut oil does not have a strong coconut taste?
- Green Label coconut oil
- Yes, Stacy is mistaken about olive oil. Extra Virgin is extra virgin because not only has it not gotten pressed yet, but when you do press it you do it once and you treat it super gentle.
- Spectrum coconut oil
- 53:11 – My coconut oil is setting off the smoke alarm.
- Smoke points, very important! Particularly the virgin coconut oil, the expeller-pressed and refined has a higher smoke point
- 56:06 – Is Kombucha too acidic to have microbial life?
- Sarah just used GT’s Original to make her SCOBY. How could she have done that if it was dead?
- 1:00:38 – What coconut milk do you use? What do you look for to avoid? Anything wrong with unsweetened baker’s chocolate?
- Stacy, London, Ontario is a medium sized city in Canada, about midway between Buffalo and Detroit. It’s about the population of Wichita, Kansas and a metropolitan area population of Lansing, Michigan.
- Yeah, we did use Baker’s Brand Unsweetened Chocolate!
- Check out Stacy’s bundle of gourmet chocolate on Chocosphere (The Paleo Bag almost at the end of the page)!
- Natural Value
- When Natural Value was out of stock, we used Chaokoh, although it is likely a source of Biphenol-A
- And there’s Thai Kitchen that you will find in most grocers. It has both guar gum and Biphenol-A
- 1:08:19 – What do you use for ketchup?
- There is Ten Tomato Ketchup, a personal triumph for me, in Eat Like a Dinosaur. REMEMBER TO REMOVE THE SEEDS!
- Fermented Ketchup
- 1:11:19 – Can you slow cook or pressure cook bone broth?
- Nom Nom Paleo using a pressure cooker
- Instapot. This thing looks crazy.
- 1:15:33 – What is the problem with eggs from chickens that eat wheat? What about meat?
- 1:22:12 – Can you do Paleo without grassfed meat?
- Robb Wolf’s article
- Paleo Perfectionism by Balanced Bites
- 1:23:40 – Can you be a vegetarian and Paleo? How was it reintroducing meat?
- So at least one blog claims to be vegetarian Paleo
- A good article about vegetarian Paleo from Paleo Plan
- 1:27:58 – Is pork safe to eat?
- Stacy is forgetting the word trichinosis caused by the worm trichina
- USDA cooking standards for pork
- CDC on the incidence of trichinosis in US
- She means medium-rare or medium at 145 degrees internal temperature.
- The terrible “live blood analysis” study published in Wise Traditions. Why would you ever publish this?
- 1:35:08 – Is there a good book on dehydrator recipes?
- Eat Like a Dinosaur has three jerky recipes and a few fruit recipes as well
- As for dehydrator books, making no claims about level of Paleo compliance, this one and this one are the highest reviewed
- 1:40:39 – What do you eat in place of FCLO?
- Okay, seriously, look at liver’s nutritional value compared with the nutritional value of a steak
- Sun Exposure by Sarah
- Can I eat gluten-free pasta or rice on Paleo?
- 1:46:37 Outro
Become a Member for FREE!
The Paleo Mom Members’ Area is resource central!
You’ll get FREE, unlimited access to dozens of quality resources, including introductory series, downloadable e-books, exclusive recipes, printables, videos and guides!
You may enjoy these related posts:
TPV Episode 26 Show Notes: The Best of the Paleo View
In this episode, Sarah had no internet for days and days so we’ve put together a …
TPV Episode 16 Show Notes: The Gallbladder Show
In this episode, it’s all about the gallbladder! Stacy doesn’t have one and …
TPV Episode 12 Show Notes: Please Help Our Kids!
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah tackle all your questions about the eating …
TPV Episode 35 Show Notes: Paleo Convenience Foods
First of all, a warm welcome to the newest Paleo Parents Team member, Monica of …
TPV Podcast, Episode 73: Transitioning Families to Paleo
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah answer questions about transferring families to …
TPV Episode 24 Show Notes: Advice From a Single Lady
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah are joined by the much requested Juli from …
TPV Episode 25 Show Notes: Let’s Hear it From the Boys
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah invite actual boys on the podcast! We’re …
TPV Episode 34 Show Notes: Healthy Hair, Skin and Teeth
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah invite Liz Wolfe of CaveGirlEats and Trina …
TPV Podcast, Episode 51: Integrating Paleo into School
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah share parenting advice on how to transition …
TPV Episode 8 Show Notes: Paleo on the Road
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah answer your questions on how to live Paleo in a …
TPV Episode 3 Show Notes: Transitioning Kids to Paleo
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah tackle your issues transitioning kids to a …
TPV Episode 37 Show Notes: Follow-Up Show
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah catch up on how book writing and editing is …