In this episode, Stacy and Sarah invite Hayley Mason of The Food Lovers’ Kitchen and Liz Wolfe of Cave Girl Eats to come answer all your questions about healthy beauty products and how to avoid other environmental toxins. Are mercury amalgam fillings really that toxic? Should you avoid all plastics? Are microwaves okay to use? And why is it that so many Paleo ladies stopped washing their hair? We answer all this and more in a very action packed 105 minutes!
Listen in iTunes
or download and listen by clicking the PodBean player below
Nutrivore Weekly Serving Matrix
An easy-to-use and flexible weekly checklist
to help you maximize nutrient-density.
The Weekly Serving Matrix is very helpful! I’ve been eating along these lines but this really helps me know where to focus vs. which foods serve a more secondary role. It’s super helpful and has taken a lot of worry out of my meal planning. Thanks!
If you enjoy the show, please review it in iTunes!
The Paleo View (TPV), Episode 10: Beauty Products and Other Potential Environmental Hazards
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 1:18 – News and Views
- Dutch Wonderland
- Carnegie Science Museum
- Tellus Science Museum
- Bed and Breakfasts: Often times they are cheaper than the area hotels, yet nicer, more intimate and breakfast is cooked for you!
- The traditional 10th wedding anniversary gift is tin or aluminium (and not an extravagant party like Stacy and I did). Maybe Stacy’s podcast wife Sarah would like an aluminum cookware set?
- 10:16 – Science with Sarah: Multiple chemical sensitivity
- Salicylate sensitivity and the recent post on it by Sarah
- 18:17 – Questions and answers
- Our guests this week:
- Liz Wolfe of CaveGirlEats and LizWolfeNTP
- Hayley Mason of The Food Lovers’ Kitchen
- Paleo Magazine, where Liz has a column
- Should I remove my amalgam fillings to help my Graves Disease?
- So there is a lot of competing voices in the amalgam debate. Most dentists and researchers seem to believe that there is little risk from even a mouthful of amalgams. The majority position is that you’d absorb more mercury eating a can of tuna than having an amalgam filling.
- But you’ll often find anecdotes about people removing mercury amalgam fillings and improving their health. The official position of The Paleo View is that the plural of anecdote is anecdotes and not evidence, however we cannot rule out that removing your fillings won’t be beneficial.
- That said, I, Matthew, have no fillings and teeth like misshapen granite, but I think I’d opt for the more expensive fillings that are more non-reactive such as porcelain, over the amalgam and composite fillings were I ever to need one.
- Wellness Mama on tooth remineralization
- Paleo Magazine on The Dental Diet by Liz (only one part seems to be available to non-subscribers)
- Part one of Hayley’s series on her thyroid condition
- What natural products are you using?
- I’m going to try to keep up with all these products and references that are being tossed about, but keep in mind I still use the cheapest bottle of Suave I can find because I am a man and I am lazy.
- The Oil Cleansing Method
- Primal Life Organics
- The OraWellness Brushing Blend used by Wellness Mama and Liz
- Primal Life Organics Tooth Powder
- Liz on the No Poo method and her results
- Sarah on No Poo
- Grandma’s Lye Soap
- Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap
- Wilderness Family Naturals Deodorant
- Primal Life Organics Deodorant
- LaVanila Deodorant
- Me, Matt? Well, I have a medical condition that causes me to constantly sweat, even in 40 degree weather. I’ve given up hope of ever controlling that, even if I plated my armpits in aluminum alloys.
- Salt Spray, I guess?
- What is a Medical Aesthetician?
- Jane Iredale Mineral Makeup on Amazon and their website
- Did I hear books? Like as in by Liz Wolfe, Diane Sanfilippo, and Hayley Mason featuring her makeup work?
- Green Pastures Beauty Balm, which, and I can tell you from personal experience, does not smell so bad as to be an anaphrodisiac.
- Where do you get all this coconut oil? Try Tropical Traditions!
- Stacy’s hair care products
- Biomega brand shampoo
- Holistix Argan Oil Treatment
- How do I treat my hair loss and itchy scalp?
- Hayley’s Healing Process post on thyroid issues
- As always, Chris Kresser has extensive archives on thyroid disorders
- Stacy on her hair loss
- Evening Primrose Oil
- What are your thoughts on nonstick, plastic containers and microwaves?
- Microwaves preserve nutrients
- Even Mark Sisson approves of microwave use
- Glass food storage containers
- Stainless Steel Cookware
- Le Creuset
- Reusable Sandwich bags
- Should I do this liver detox?
- By the way, anyone who says the will detoxify you, but mentions no specific toxin that they are targeting is trying to sell you something, not heal you. Toxins have names, after all, and react independently to specific treatments.
- Our guests this week:
- 1:39:49- Paleo Parenting
- 1:47:40 – Outro
Become a Member for FREE!
The Paleo Mom Members’ Area is resource central!
You’ll get FREE, unlimited access to dozens of quality resources, including introductory series, downloadable e-books, exclusive recipes, printables, videos and guides!
You may enjoy these related posts:
TPV Episode 26 Show Notes: The Best of the Paleo View
In this episode, Sarah had no internet for days and days so we’ve put together a …
TPV Episode 23 Show Notes: Fertility, PCOS, and Female Hormones
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah are joined by the fantastic Stefani Ruper of …
TPV Episode 34 Show Notes: Healthy Hair, Skin and Teeth
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah invite Liz Wolfe of CaveGirlEats and Trina …
TWV Podcast Episode 422: Banning Sneaky Toxins in Beauty Products
Every time we talk about the chemicals that are allowed in personal care …
TPV Episode 7 Show Notes: Paleo Pregnancy
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah are joined by women in the various stages of …
TPV Podcast, Episode 83: Liz Wolfe
In this episode Stacy and Sarah are joined by Liz Wolfe, also known as Real Food …
TPV Podcast Episode 212, How to Heal Your Skin
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah talk about skin health. What should you do to …
TPV Episode 38 Show Notes: Let’s Gather
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah invite Bill Staley and Hayley Mason of The Food …
The Paleo View Podcast, Episode 263: Ask Us Anything Part 2!
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah respond to your Ask-Me-Anything style …
TPV Podcast Episode 226, The Perfect Plate?
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah discuss whether different foods should never be …
TPV Podcast Episode 247, How Do I Weigh Quality and Budget in Dairy Products?
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah answer a question about dairy. What if you find …
TPV Episode 19 Show Notes: Live Guests
In this episode, we invite our first ever listener guests! Meet Jeanine, a …