Sometimes the simplest recipes make all the difference to a meal. And this recipe is certainly simple, packed with flavor, and makes that extra serving of veggies on a plate something supremely enjoyable rather than a chore! Even if you don’t think you like broccoli, give this one a try: it’s a totally different preparation than the frozen-bag broccoli you grew up with. The result is a little crispy, with amazing lemon and garlic flavor that perfectly complements this natural cruciferous veggie.
Broccoli is definitely a nutrition superstar, packed with vitamin K, beta-carotene, vitamin C, chromium, folate, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, vitamin E, phosphorous, manganese, choline, vitamin B2, potassium, copper, vitamin B1, magnesium, zinc, iron, calcium, selenium, and vitamin B3. Not to mention being packed with cancer-fighting antioxidants and plenty of gut health-promoting fiber!
Nutrition, delicious, easy AND this recipe is super flexible! Cauliflower and Brussels sprouts are equally delicious in this recipe, and you could even try a mix of two or all three! To keep this recipe simple for weeknights, just roast your veggies with avocado or olive oil and salt.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 to 40 minutes
Yields: 4 to 8
- 8 cups broccoli or mixed broccoli and cauliflower florets and cubed stems (about 2 lbs)
- 1/4c avocado oil or high quality olive oil
- 6 to 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbs finely-grated lemon zest (about 1 lemon)
- 1/4 tsp salt or truffle salt
- 1/4 c chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450F
- In a casserole dish, toss the broccoli (and cauliflower, if using) florets and stems with the avocado oil, garlic, lemon zest, and salt.
- Roast for 25 to 40 minutes, until the broccoli and cauliflower is fully cooked (it depends on how big your florets and how soft you like them), stirring once half-
way through cooking.
- Remove from the oven and toss with the fresh parsley. Serve!
- Optional: for a little extra zing, reserve the juice from the lemon and squeeze over the broccoli right before serving!