We call these “Sore Leg Brownies” in my house because I developed them for my oldest daughter when she has having growing pains. She’s not a good eater (update: see this more recent post to read about improvements with her eating) and especially dislikes anything green (okay, that’s an exaggeration, the walls of her bedroom are green and she seems to like those). Growing pains are typically caused by a magnesium deficiency, which is abundant in green foods, especially dark green leafy vegetables. Yes, I admit it: I am not beyond hiding some good green nutrition in my daughter’s treats. And these brownies are awesome! Like all Paleo brownies that I’ve tried so far, these are more like a thin piece of cake than a brownie. The spinach, which you can’t taste, actually helps keep them moist and less dense than a lot of Paleo brownie recipes I’ve tried. But, if anyone figures out how to get that crunchy crust and chewy middle without gluten, please let me know!
- 1 ¼ cups frozen chopped spinach
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate
- 1 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup ground flax seed
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
1. Preheat oven to 325F. Line a 9”x13” baking pan with wax paper.
2. Melt coconut oil and chocolate together over low heat on the stove top or medium power in the microwave. Add vanilla and honey; stir to incorporate. Let cool.
3. Blend spinach and egg together in a blender or food processor, until smooth. Add flax meal and pulse to incorporate. Pour out into a big bowl.
4. Mix cocoa powder, coconut flour, almond flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt.
5. Add melted chocolate mixture to egg mixture slowly and stirring constantly.
6. Mix in dry ingredients and stir to fully incorporate. Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
7. Bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely in pan. Cut into squares. Enjoy!
Do you need help finding any ingredients? Check out Important Pantry Items for the Paleo Baker.