Yes, you read that correctly. Avocado lends a wonderful creaminess and a unique (but good!) flavor to this homemade ice “cream”. I have loved the banana avocado combination since discovering it when I mashed them together for baby food for my youngest daughter. A very lightly candied walnut is a perfect accompaniment to this refreshing dessert. If you don’t have an ice cream maker yet, I highly recommend getting one. It opens up dozens of wonderful options for Paleo desserts. You don’t need anything fancy. Santa brought be this Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker for Christmas this year and it works very well. Serves 4.
Ingredients (candied walnuts):
1. Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Toss in walnuts halves and stir to coat.
3. Add sugar and stir constantly until sugar melts and walnuts are browned, about 4-5 minutes.
4. Pour onto a plate and let cool.
- 1 large ripe avocado (or 1½ small)
- 1 large very ripe banana (so ripe you were thinking about tossing it in the compost)
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp Honey, to taste (a little more will be necessary if your banana isn’t that ripe)
1. Scoop out avocado meat and peel banana. Blend all ingredients together until a smooth puree is formed.
2. Cover and chill mixture in the fridge until cold, at least 1 hour.
3. Place in your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
4. Top with candied walnuts!