Yes, you read that correctly. Avocado lends a wonderful creaminess and a unique (but good!) flavor to this homemade ice “cream”. I have loved the banana avocado combination since discovering it when I mashed them together for baby food for my youngest daughter. A very lightly candied walnut is a perfect accompaniment to this refreshing dessert. If you don’t have an ice cream maker yet, I highly recommend getting one. It opens up dozens of wonderful options for Paleo desserts. You don’t need anything fancy. Santa brought be this Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker for Christmas this year and it works very well. Serves 4.
200+ Healthy and Delicious Recipes
20 Meal Plans for a variety of goals
I LOVE this book. The science is awesome. I’ve learned a ton without feeling overwhelmed. The paleo principles just takes my understanding to the next level!!!
Ingredients (candied walnuts):
- 1 cup Walnuts Halves
- 1 Tbsp Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- 1½ Tbsp Sugar or Sucanat
1. Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Toss in walnuts halves and stir to coat.
3. Add sugar and stir constantly until sugar melts and walnuts are browned, about 4-5 minutes.
4. Pour onto a plate and let cool.
- 1 large ripe avocado (or 1½ small)
- 1 large very ripe banana (so ripe you were thinking about tossing it in the compost)
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp Honey, to taste (a little more will be necessary if your banana isn’t that ripe)
1. Scoop out avocado meat and peel banana. Blend all ingredients together until a smooth puree is formed.
2. Cover and chill mixture in the fridge until cold, at least 1 hour.
3. Place in your ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
4. Top with candied walnuts!
You may enjoy these related posts:
Plantain Fritter Pancakes with Maple Coconut Cream and Toasted Walnuts
This just may be the most decadent breakfast ever. It’s perfect beside some …
Avocado Banana Chip Salad
The inspiration for this salad comes from way back when my toddler was first …
Grug’s Barbecued Stuffed Bananas—A Recipe Inspired by The Croods
Who is Grug? He is the overprotective yet loving dad (voiced by Nicolas Cage) …
The Health Benefits of Bananas and Plantains
Bananas and plantains are both members of the genus Musa, growing on plants that …
Citrus, Fig, and Walnut Salad
I came up with this citrus, fig, and walnut salad for a television appearance on …
Chocolate Banana Bread (Egg-Free)
Ugh, I can’t eat eggs. I thought I had successfully reintroduced them after …
Banana Cupcakes (nut-free) with Whipped White Chocolate Sesame Frosting
My kids and husband eat a lot of bananas. I’m quite in the habit of picking up …
What a discovery! A warm, hearty hot cereal full of flavor and as versatile as …
Book Review: We Can All Scream For Ice Cream by Jennifer Robins and Vivian Cheng
This review was written by my assistant Christina. Jennifer Robins of …
AIP Vanilla Ice Cream
Whether it’s a treat for a hot summer’s day or the “a la mode” for a warm apple …
Not only are these waffles completely Paleo, but they avoid many of the …
Paleo Mallomar Ice Cream Sandwiches
These are a wonderful decadent treat (great one to pull out for a summer …