I get asked all the time about what supplements to take on the Autoimmune Protocol; but here’s the cool thing: the AIP is a set of best practices for diet and lifestyle framed in the context of chronic and autoimmune illnesses, and is devised such that there’s no one supplement that is needed across the board. That’s why there’s no AIP supplement line! The AIP diet is varied, whole-food-based and nutrient-sufficient, providing ample and synergistic quantities of every essential and non-essential nutrient. And, the AIP lifestyle priorities help to regulate the immune system, improve gut health, and regulate hormones. But, just because there isn’t an AIP supplement protocol doesn’t mean that there isn’t a place for informed and judicious use of supplements in conjunction with the AIP.
So, in this week’s episode of The Whole View podcast, Stacy and I answer our listener Sarah’s question with a detailed discussion four categories of supplements to consult with your doctor about while following the AIP:
- supplements that make up for something that was in food in “the olden days” but that is diminished or absent in the modern food supply (like dirt and soil-based organisms);
- food-based supplements for nutrient-dense superfoods that someone might have barriers to getting enough of (like liver pills or veggie powders);
- targeted supplementation for severe nutrient deficiency (like taking vitamin D in response to test results showing low vitamin D levels); and
- targeted supplementation for other purposes (like taking digestive support supplements or adaptogens, again in response to testing).
If you enjoy the show, please review it on iTunes!
Recommended Reading and Listening
- TPV Podcast Episode 346: Can you have a healthy gut if you don’t eat paleo?
- TWV Podcast Episode 417: Vitamin K2, Hype, or Essential?
- TPV Podcast, Episode 61: Supplements
- TPV Podcast Episode 234: Will I Have to Supplement Forever?
- TWV Podcast Episode 430: Collagen, Gelatin and Bone Broth, Oh My!
- TWV Podcast Episode 415: Fish oil, Healthy or not?
- TPV Podcast Episode 373: How Many Vegetables (Part 4) Powdered Veggies
- TPV Episode 39 Show Notes: Gut Health
- TWV Podcast Episode 420: CBD for Pain Management
- TPV Podcast, Episode 314: Is Melatonin Safe?
- TPV Podcast, Episode 307: Are Mushrooms Really Magic?
- TPV Podcast Episode 392: Are Mushrooms Really Magic? Part 2
- The Power of Medicinal Mushrooms: An Overview
- CBD: Panacea, Snake Oil, or Somewhere in between?