We received an awesome listener question about the possible link between Irritable Bowel Syndrome and osteoporosis. So on this weeks’ episode of The Whole View, Stacy and I discussed what a diagnosis of IBS entails and means (and how it’s different from IBD), the causes of IBS, clinical trials using therapeutic diets for IBS, the links between gut health and bone health, and foods and lifestyle choices that help address both!
If you enjoy the show, please review it on iTunes!
Recommended Reading and Listening
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin K2
- TWV Podcast Episode 457: The Problem with a Low-FODMAP Diet
- The Paleo Diet for Skeletal Health
- TWV Podcast Episode 417: Vitamin K2, Hype, or Essential?
- TPV Episode 354: Everything Vitamin D
- TWV Podcast Episode 424: 30 Fruits and Vegetables a Week?!
- TWV Podcast Episode 405: Is there real science on Pesticides and the Dirty Dozen?
- TPV Podcast Episode 373: How Many Vegetables (Part 4) Powdered Veggies
- Is It Better to Eat Veggies Raw or Cooked?
- TPV Podcast, Episode 304: What’s Better: Raw or Cooked Vegetables?
- TPV Podcast Episode 335: How Many Vegetables Part 3: Souping vs Smoothies
- TPV Podcast, Episode 281: How Many Vegetables?!
- TWV Podcast Episode 413: The Gut Health Benefits of Nuts
- TWV Podcast Episode 415: Fish oil, Healthy or not?
- TWV Podcast Episode 406: Got Water?
- TWV Podcast Episode 414: Best Cooking Fats for Gut Health
- TPV Podcast, Episode 329: The Link Between Carb Intolerance & Gut Health
- TPV Podcast, Episode 313: The Bone Broth Show Part 2
Chey WD, Kurlander J, Eswaran S. Irritable bowel syndrome: a clinical review. JAMA. 2015 Mar 3;313(9):949-58. doi: 10.1001/jama.2015.0954. PMID: 25734736.
Hadjivasilis A, Tsioutis C, Michalinos A, Ntourakis D, Christodoulou DK, Agouridis AP. New insights into irritable bowel syndrome: from pathophysiology to treatment. Ann Gastroenterol. 2019 Nov-Dec;32(6):554-564. doi: 10.20524/aog.2019.0428. Epub 2019 Oct 22. PMID: 31700231; PMCID: PMC6826071.
Menees S, Chey W. The gut microbiome and irritable bowel syndrome. F1000Res. 2018 Jul 9;7:F1000 Faculty Rev-1029. doi: 10.12688/f1000research.14592.1. PMID: 30026921; PMCID: PMC6039952.
Bennet SMP, Böhn L, Störsrud S, Liljebo T, Collin L, Lindfors P, Törnblom H, Öhman L, Simrén M. Multivariate modelling of faecal bacterial profiles of patients with IBS predicts responsiveness to a diet low in FODMAPs. Gut. 2018 May;67(5):872-881. doi: 10.1136/gutjnl-2016-313128. Epub 2017 Apr 17. PMID: 28416515.