In this episode, Stacy and Sarah discuss losing weight without going low carbs and tips for how to get to healthy when you’re overweight.
Click here to listen in iTunes
or download and listen by clicking the PodBean Player below
Nutrivore Weekly Serving Matrix
An easy-to-use and flexible weekly checklist
to help you maximize nutrient-density.
The Weekly Serving Matrix is very helpful! I’ve been eating along these lines but this really helps me know where to focus vs. which foods serve a more secondary role. It’s super helpful and has taken a lot of worry out of my meal planning. Thanks!
If you enjoy the show, please review it in iTunes!
The Paleo View (TPV), Episode 252: How Do I Lose Weight With My Restrictions Without Going Low Carb?
- Intro (0:00)
- News and Views (0:40)
- Do you have summer adjustment issues? Sarah does!
- Sarah is trying to finish her books and give her kids attention.
- Meanwhile, Stacy is managing her time with adding working out back into her schedule.
- Stacy had a run in with a notorious troll. She was told she has to lose weight before she works out to minimize injury.
- That’s complete nonsense! Sarah agrees! Stacy turned it into an opportunity to talk about communication. We call this kind of person a “self-help troll”.
- Sarah had a similar experience when she went on antibiotics for pneumonia recently, despite us saying that there’s definitely a time and a place for medicine!
- But people who are concern trolling are “D words”
- Sarah has been doing a series on healthy weight loss on her blog. Check it out!
- Sarah does a lot of research on this! She knows what she’s talking about! But so many people tangentially related to Paleo are selling you bad advice with extreme recommendations and bad science. This stuff can destroy hormones, endocrine systems, and metabolism!
- Remember: Movement is essentially for health at any size! So much of science agrees!
- Anyone with an internet connection can post something, so figure out why people are saying what they are saying!
- You can love and respect yourself AND desire to lose weight!
- Question from Jen: “Since I know you and Sarah have both lost weight, I wanted to ask for some suggestions. I lost weight going Paleo a few years ago, around 55 pounds. I have more than 100 to lose but those 55 were amazing. Problem was I also losing my hair. I added back potatoes, rice & more carbs and the hair loss stopped but the weight loss stopped too. (I’ve since read about low carb and thyroid issues – I have Hashis). But even adding carbs, I gained nothing back – just stayed the same. Went through a major life stressor a couple years ago and gained it all back plus some. I want to attempt to get it off again but I’m at a loss as to what to do. I’ve read Sarah lost most of her weight low carb but I’m so afraid to do that again. I’m not trying to get skinny, but I want to feel more functional again. It’s super hard to follow most weight loss blogs since I already can’t eat gluten or oats or much dairy or too many raw veggies or nightshades… lol! Any direction or advice you may have would be super appreciated.”
- Low carb does not have a metabolic advantage: it just tricks you into eating less!
- Actually that’s the same as Paleo. On average, people are eating about 400 calories less per day
- While it’s not as simple as calories in/calories out, calories do matter for weight loss!
- Weight loss can have negative effects while you’re doing it. Often there is nutrient deficiencies (which can stop your fat burning!)
- Exercise burns calories and increases metabolic rate! Very good
- Sleep loss will cause you to overeat and messes with hormones
- Stress will also cause you to hold on to weight.
- Taken all these factors together and you are left with a Paleo template!
- Healthy weight loss is slow!
- Hyper palatable foods are a problem: They override your satiety sensations and make you want more!
- Sarah recommends eating veggies to compensate!
- Denise Minger reminded us that eating fat and refined carbohydrates leads to weight gain.
- Stacy has mindsets that she has from low carb weight loss that she is trying to break. Like drinking bulletproof coffee in the morning.
- Sort through your food habits to see what you can fix for weight loss.
- Use an app to track your eating habits as a food journal to see where your extra calories are coming from! Try Chronometer or MyFitnessPal.
- Snacking tends to be the biggest issue, especially with lack of sleep.
- Are you getting enough fiber and proteins? Are you getting enough nutrients? What’s going on?
- If you can, get a body composition measurement to see what’s going on. Get your basal metabolic rate to see where your calorie requirements are.
- Also, don’t sit down to a plate of only carbs. Pair them with other foods or right before bed.
- Starchy vegetables can probably be your only source of carbs plus some fruit
- See Sarah’s posts on weight loss here.
- Being thin is not the same thing as being healthy. And losing weight is not the same as getting healthy.
- Losing excess weight is a side effect of getting healthy. Being overweight is only a symptom.
- Rate and Review us! Goodbye!
- Outro (53:37)
- Bloopers: Near and Far was a Grover sketch on Sesame Street.
Become a Member for FREE!
The Paleo Mom Members’ Area is resource central!
You’ll get FREE, unlimited access to dozens of quality resources, including introductory series, downloadable e-books, exclusive recipes, printables, videos and guides!
You may enjoy these related posts:
TPV Podcast Episode 389: How Do I Optimize Calories Out?
On this week’s episode, Stacy and Sarah address a listener’s question on the …
TPV Podcast Episode 359: Should I be tracking my macronutrients?
On this week’s episode, Stacy and Sarah discuss macronutrients and the role that …
Tips and Tricks for Losing Weight
Clinical trials confirm that the Paleo diet can reverse metabolic syndrome, …
Portion Control: The Weight Loss Magic Bullet
What if there were a simple way to lose weight that didn’t require going uber …
TPV Podcast, Episode 198, Weight Loss Follow Up
On this episode of The Paleo View, Stacy and Sarah answer a question on how to …
TPV Podcast, Episode 47: Exercise
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah are joined by The Paleo View’s male co-host, …
TPV Podcast, Episode 195, The Latest in Weight Loss Research
On this episode of The Paleo View, Stacy and Sarah discuss some of the latest …
TPV Podcast, Episode 197, Carbohydrate Insulin Hypothesis
On this episode of The Paleo View, Stacy and Sarah continue their discussion on …
TPV Podcast, Episode 305: Why Insulin Is Important & Awesome!
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah tell you about how awesome insulin is and why …
TPV Episode 6 Show Notes: Weight Loss with Paleo
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah share their remarkable weight loss stories and …
Healthy Weight Loss with Paleo, Part 1: Modifying Dietary Choices to Support Fat Metabolism
There are many resources, even within the Paleosphere, that make claims about …
Healthy Weight Loss
The topic of healthy (and maintainable) weight loss is a personal one for me. If …