In this episode, Stacy and Sarah discuss the importance of sleep and sleep hygiene.
Click the picture above to be taken to iTunes
or download and listen by clicking the PodBean Player below
If you enjoy the show, please review it in iTunes!
The Paleo View (TPV), Episode 206: Sleep Hygiene
- Intro (0:00)
- News and Views (0:40)
- Stacy is listening to Audible right now! Specifically, Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
- Today’s show is about Sleep Hygiene!
- Remember our book tour? Much fun!
- So many people are missing sleep as the crucial component of their healing, a theme we’ve hear many many times.
- Sarah wrote the book about sleep. Literally.
- More and more studies are indicating that sleep is one of the most important health factor, and certainly the most neglected.
- One night of poor sleep causes more insulin resistance than 6 months of bad diet. Crazy!
- Good sleep helps with everything! From mood to stress to health choices!
- Bad sleep habits is as detrimental to your health as being obese, being sedentary or having a bad diet.
- And the trend of disease matches the decline in sleep amounts over time as well.
- Everyone seems to be using stimulants to cover up for sleep deprivation, and then keep us from sleeping well at night. It’s affecting our health!
- Check out Matt’s post, Propped Up By Stimulants
- Of course, don’t feel badly if you’re not getting your sleep right now. Things happen! But keep in mind what will be really beneficial for your health.
- With a new baby, sleep when the baby sleeps is great advice. Your baby won’t benefit by you being a superwoman if it means you’re too tired and sacrificing your health
- Kelly says, “Hey ladies love the podcast! I keep seeing people wearing amber glasses before bed. Does that really help with sleep?” (29:13)
- Mark Sisson came on the show and talked about amber glasses for night time in Episode 27!
- Get yours here!
- Amber glasses do work! They help you go to sleep quicker with better quality.
- They work by tricking your body and brain into thinking that you’re in twilight. Meanwhile, our lightbulbs don’t convince us that it’s day time or its night time. And our computer and TV screens make us think it’s day.
- Get F Lux for your computer
- Wear them two to three hours before bed to help with dim light melatonin production that is triggered by sunset.
- Shannon says, “I feel like you have talked about a favorite or recommended mattress brand in the past but I can’t find anything on your site. I like all natural latex mattresses with organic cotton and/or wool, but I am open to looking at other options. Do you have something you like to recommend? Thanks in advance!”
- Stacy uses a Sleep Number bed.
- Lots of Paleo experts are recommending a firmer mattress for alignment issues.
- Here is PaleOMG’s mattress review
- Get gainz (with a ZED) from getting your zeds!
- Ok, true story: There’s a reason why we spell things the way we do in America and why it’s different from every other English speaking country: Noah Webster. Webster wrote the first dictionary of American English (as opposed to Samuel Johnson‘s dictionary of English English) and he very specifically wanted to simplify all spellings and eliminate extra letters for clarity. And that included the extra U.
- Thank you for listening!
- Outro (39:16)