In this episode, Stacy and Sarah discuss the 80/20 rule, what it means and what you should include in that 20%.
Click here to be taken to iTunes
or download and listen by clicking the PodBean Player below
Nutrivore Weekly Serving Matrix
An easy-to-use and flexible weekly checklist
to help you maximize nutrient-density.
The Weekly Serving Matrix is very helpful! I’ve been eating along these lines but this really helps me know where to focus vs. which foods serve a more secondary role. It’s super helpful and has taken a lot of worry out of my meal planning. Thanks!
If you enjoy the show, please review it in iTunes!
The Paleo View (TPV), Episode 216: The 80/20 Rule
- Intro (0:00)
- News and Views (0:40)
- No lizard 🙁
- Sarah wrote another book! It’s about synthesizing all the modern science around Paleo philosophy.
- Helps explain and define all the modern conceptions of the Paleo diet.
- When she compiled all of the science posts on The Paleo Mom, the word count was 110,000!
- It will be published as a kind of general Paleo science book helping to elucidate everything surrounding a Paleo template from diet to lifestyle to biology.
- Sarah is hoping to change the arguments in Paleo about controversial topics into a more focused conversation on the science.
- And maybe people will stop reporting on Paleo as a historical reenactment into a modern nutrition science movement.
- She’ll have an idea of scheduling in about a month, tentatively released next May!
- She’s trying to figure out how to simply present all the conversations around Paleo like the dairy argument and carb argument as well as explain concepts like nightshades in pros and cons arguments.
- The Great Potato Debate!
- This show: The 80/20 Rule
- What should be in your 20%? Why can some people can eat gluten and I can’t?
- The 80/20 Rule was either in The Paleo Diet or The Primal Blueprint
- Sarah also read The Paleo Solution and The Paleo Answer as well as Robb’s Podcast.
- You can experience 100% of the benefits from doing the diet 80% of the time. (About three cheat meals per week).
- It may have been an editor’s choice since there was a lot of influence from the publisher on the original The Paleo Diet book.
- Sarah was always into a 100% solution for herself because that’s what works best for her.
- Sarah and Stacy avoid gluten always because of their own reactions to it
- Stacy recommends Rise Bakery for Gluten-Free Croissants!
- Sarah has a much lower tolerance for foods that would be inflammatory including nightshades, eggs and dairy. Her 20% tends to be sweets or borderline foods like nuts or corn.
- Make smart choices about your food and don’t over indulge. In fact, over indulging might be a sign a need for emotional support.
- Stacy always chose Sunday after big strongman training to indulge herself and that routine helped her stave off cravings.
- Kelli ann says: “My first holiday gathering since becoming Paleo was an EPIC fail tonight to say the least. I ate all the non-Paleo foods you could think of. I do not suffer from any conditions or diseases; I became Paleo simply because I believe it is the optimum diet for health and wellness. With that being said, how much damage did I honestly do? I’m trying not to feel guilty, but let’s be real, I’m feeling pretty darn guilty!
- Do not feel guilty about food! Food is not a moral choice that should make you feel shame!
- There are many factors on how it would effect you, but if you don’t have significant health issues, you’re probably going to react only mildly.
- Non-celiac gluten intolerance does exist though!
- Overall, gluten is probably not a health promoting food, but it will probably not destroy you.
- We are not of the defeatist attitude that if it doesn’t affect you now, it will eventually catch up with you.
- Outro (1:00:07)
Become a Member for FREE!
The Paleo Mom Members’ Area is resource central!
You’ll get FREE, unlimited access to dozens of quality resources, including introductory series, downloadable e-books, exclusive recipes, printables, videos and guides!
You may enjoy these related posts:
5 Paleo Treats That Won’t Count Toward Your 80/20
The 80/20 rule states that following the Paleo diet 80% of the time allows us to …
TPV Podcast, Episode 102: Teenagers
On this episode of The Paleo View, Stacy and Sarah are joined by Leslie …
TPV Podcast, Episode. 201, Schools of Paleo Thought
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah discuss all the competing, yet similar versions …
TPV Podcast, Episode 178, Missing the Point
On this episode of The Paleo View, Stacy and Sarah discuss the purpose of the …
TPV Podcast, Episode 323: Cheat or Treat, Let’s Talk Sweets!
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah are helping you prepare for America’s sugar …
TPV Podcast, Episode 80: Stefani Ruper
In this episode Stacy and Sarah are joined by Stefani Ruper of Paleo for Women, …
TPV Podcast Episode 336: Cassy Joy Garcia of Fed and Fit
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah welcome special guest, Cassy Joy Garcia of Fed …
TPV Podcast, Episode 100: Questions & Answers
On this episode of The Paleo View, Stacy and Sarah celebrate the 100th episode …
TPV Podcast Episode 232, When Do I Start When Life Won’t Stop?!
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah talk about how to handle starting a new way of …
TPV Podcast, Episode 325: Alopecia & AIP for Kids
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah come to the rescue for a listener in need, …
TPV Podcast Episode 358: How Intuitive Eating Has It Wrong
On this week’s episode, Stacy and Sarah take a look at the latest buzz in the …
TPV Podcast, Episode 180, Eyes on Your Own Plate, Please
On this episode of The Paleo View, Stacy and Sarah share tips on how to share …