And remember that any preview recipe from The Paleo Approach Cookbook can be used to enter the Hashtag Giveaway!
I know that many of you already know what this book is about and as excited to see it out in the world as I am. For those of you who aren’t familiar, here is a summary:
- over 200 recipes! Each recipe includes cook time, prep time, servings, tips, variations, nutrition facts, FODMAP alerts, and a photograph for every recipe!! This huge number of recipes guarantees that there’s something for everyone!The recipes include a great variety of different types of recipes, many quick & easy recipes for busy weeknights but also recipes that are more involved and designed to deliver a sophisticated flavor. Many recipes are designed with budget in mind and many to accommodate limited time commitments for cooking. While about one third of the recipes include ingredients that might not be found at a standard grocery store (but can be easily found online, at a local Farmer’s Market or at specialty stores like Whole Foods), the other two thirds require only standard ingredients. Most of the recipes are familiar comfort foods, but there are definitely some designed to challenge your comfort zone and introduce you to new options!
- hundreds of recipe variations! So you’re never bored! Many of the recipe variations swap out harder-to-find ingredients for more accessible ones for those of you who live in areas where these ingredients aren’t easy to source.
- 6 one-week meal plans! Complete with Shopping Lists and Plan Ahead guide so you can get a head start on a busy work week. Two of the meal plans are low-FODMAP.
- summary of the Paleo Approach diet! Without all the detailed science. Includes complete food lists, budget tips, important things to keep in mind when making food choices, and where to source quality foods.
- over 100 pages of resources! Including cooking guides, kitchen How-Tos, shopping lists, food storage guides, kitchen tool essentials, cooking glossary of terms, time management strategies, how to read labels, recipe Top Ten, alphabetical Yes-No-Maybe-So list of foods, and MORE!
- 8 tear-away guides! Including the six meal plans with shopping lists and reading labels guides.
- easy navigation! Complete Table of Contents, Chapter Contents, Visual Thumbnail Index, and Complete Topic-Ingredient-Recipe Index!
Plantain and Apple Fritters
These fritters taste like little apple pie pancakes. They are tasty warm or chilled and are great combined with pork sausage or bacon (or both!). For an extra decadent breakfast, you can add a spoonful of Coconut Whipped Topping (page 116 in The Paleo Approach Cookbook).
- Prep Time: 5 to 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 17 to 20 minutes
- Servings: 8
- 2 ripe plantains, peeled
- 1 small apple, peeled, cored, and grated
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 to 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- Mash the plantains in a bowl with a fork or a wire potato masher (the fritters taste better if you leave some lumps and don’t overmash). Add the grated apple and cinnamon and mix to combine.
- Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil in a skillet over medium heat. Drop heaping spoonfuls of the plantain batter into the pan and flatten with the back of a spoon. The fritters should be 2 to 3 inches in diameter, or about the same size as your spatula; otherwise, they can be tricky to flip. Depending on the size of your skillet, you may have to cook the fritters in batches.
- Cook for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown on the bottom. Add a little extra coconut oil if the fritters absorb it all. If they are browning too fast, turn down the heat.
- Carefully flip the fritters and cook for 7 to 8 minutes on the other side. Again, add a little extra coconut oil if the fritters absorb it all. Enjoy!
Ripe plantains should be covered in black spots, if not almost completely black. The blacker the peel, the better!
If cooking in batches, you can keep the finished fritters warm on a baking dish in a 200°F oven.
This recipe cannot be made low-FODMAP.
Want more? The Paleo Approach Cookbook is currently available from several popular retailers: Amazon (USA), Amazon (CA), Barnes&Noble, Independent Bookstores, and Book Depository for international locations.
Don’t forget to check out the TWO HUGE giveaways that I’m currently running! The first, worth over $1600, ends TONIGHT! And remember that any preview recipe from The Paleo Approach Cookbook can be used to enter the Hashtag Giveaway!