Mmm, fudge. Better yet, fudge that is indulgent but not cloyingly sweet, made with clean and nutrient-dense ingredients, that’s easy and quick to make, and that’s completely Paleo and even AIP-friendly! Woot!
The secret to this recipe is coconut oil, both for the fudge itself and the topping. While you can use any smooth nut butter for the fudge (I prefer cashew, but you can use coconut butter (toasted or regular) to make it AIP, or almond butter, or pecan butter, or sunflower butter to make it nut-free…), there really isn’t a substitute for coconut oil (it’s key to the fudgey, slightly chewy texture).
So, this is a good opportunity to share that right now, you can get a free jar of organic coconut oil as well as a 30-day free trial membership with your first order from Thrive Market. I’m in love with Thrive Market. It’s like an like an online Costco with 25%-50% discounts on hundreds of Paleo staples, all delivered right to your door! In fact, Thrive carries every single ingredient I used to make this freezer fudge! That gets a second woot! for sure!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1-2 minutes
Ingredients (chocolate topping):
Directions (chocolate topping):
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil together on low power in the microwave or in a double boiler.
Ingredients (AIP carob topping):
- 4 Tbsp carob powder
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla, optional
- Maldon sea salt to garnish, optional
Directions (AIP carob topping):
- Whisk carob power, melted coconut oil and vanilla together.
- 1 1/2 cups cashew butter (for AIP, use coconut butter)
- 6 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp salt (use half this amount if your cashew butter is salted)
- Grease 9″ x 5″ glass baking dish with coconut oil, or use candy molds.
- Whisk ingredients together until fully combined. (If they aren’t coming together well, gently warm on low power in the microwave or in a double boiler)
- Pour into prepared dish or molds. Freeze for at least 1 hour until set.
- Once frozen, remove from dish onto a cutting board and cut into squares. If using candy molds, simply pop out of the molds. Place on a lined baking sheet or cutting boards.
- Drizzle topping of choice over fudge. Let topping start to solidify before sprinkling with Maldon sea salt, if using. Put back into the freezer 5 minutes to fully set. Transfer to a freezer-safe container for long-term storage.
- Consume frozen and don’t leave out of the freezer.