(Created as a guest post for Fresh4Five)
If you are a lemon lover, then you will love these nut-free Paleo lemon cupcakes. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes but can be easily halved or doubled depending on how many you need. I have included two different frosting recipes. The first is a lemon-caramel frosting, which has a perfect texture and a lemony flavor with a hint of caramel (the secret to not getting too much caramel flavor is to keep the heat really low while reducing the lemon juice and honey). The second frosting is much easier to make, but won’t handle heat very well and will melt if your room temperature is higher than 74F (because of the coconut oil content). This frosting has the slightly gritty texture that coconut butter has but a very clean lemony flavor (and that pretty white color). Both frostings are great though (my favorite is the lemon-caramel, but my husband far preferred the lemon coconut butter). I love decorating these cupcakes with homemade honey-candied lemon zest (the recipe is part of this post).
Ingredients (Lemon Caramel Frosting):
- 1 cup Honey
- 2/3 cup fresh Lemon Juice
- ¼ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ cup Palm Shortening (I buy ethical palm shortening from Tropical Traditions)
1. Heat honey and lemon juice in a medium-sized saucepot over low heat. Reduce to 1 cup volume, being very careful not to let it burn (this will take 10-15 minutes).
2. Remove from heat and immediately stir in baking soda. It will froth and expand. Stir vigorously for 15-20 seconds, then pour into a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
3. Mix in palm shortening until completely combined.
4. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for several days or store in the fridge for longer-term storage (warm up to room temperature before frosting cupcakes).
Ingredients (Lemon Coconut Butter Frosting):
- ½ cup Coconut Cream Concentrate (a.k.a. Coconut Butter or Creamed Coconut)
- ¼ cup fresh Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Honey
1. If you are opening a new bottle or box of coconut cream concentrate and the oil has separated out, heat the jar (or remove the contents of the box to a glass jar) by placing it a pot or bowl and surrounding with hot water. Let it sit until it’s warmed enough to stir thoroughly. Let cool to room temperature.
2. Mix coconut cream concentrate, lemon juice and honey until thoroughly combined.
3. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for several days or store in the fridge for longer-term storage (warm up to room temperature before frosting cupcakes).
Ingredients (Lemon Cupcakes):
- ½ cup Coconut Flour
- ¼ cup Tapioca Flour
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- 6 Eggs
- ½ cup Honey
- ¼ cup fresh Lemon Juice (roughly juice of two lemons)
- 2 Tbsp finely grated Lemon Zest (roughly zest from two lemons)
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Line a muffin tin with Silicone Muffin Cupsor paper muffin cup liners.
2. Blend all ingredients together in a a until a smooth batter forms. Let the batter rest for 2-3 minutes to thicken.
3. Pour batter into prepared muffin tin. Each cup should be filled approximately ¾ full (or slightly more).
4. Bake for 22-23 minutes, until starting to turn golden brown along the edges (should pass a toothpick test).
5. Carefully remove cupcakes from pan and cool on a wire rack. Let cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
6. Spread a generous amount of frosting (which ever you chose) on each cupcake. Candied lemon zest and edible flowers make great decorations for these cupcakes.