Cat is an Irish expat who lives in the Caribbean with her husband and dog. She made the transition from standard low-fat mainstream diet to Paleo/Primal almost four years ago to try and ease the symptoms of endometriosis and hasn’t looked back since. You can find her cooking up a storm at ThingsMyBellyLikes or go say hi on Facebook or Twitter.
Summer in the Caribbean is a mixed blessing.
On the one hand there’s the longer days, the calm, flat water that’s perfect for boating and swimming, and the brilliant sunshine. On the other, there’s the endless swarm of bugs and the crushing humidity.
In weather like this, the only thing Hubs and I can eat in great quantities is ice cream…and (wo)man cannot live on ice cream alone (more’s the pity).
So we invariably turn to cold meals and salads like this delicious, zingy, citrus slaw.
It’s light, it’s fresh and it’s perfect picnic fare.
I made a huge batch and it was gone within days. Mainly because Hubs sucked it up faster than a Dyson.
One word of advice though: if you can, please make your own mayo for this. It’s very easy to do, you don’t need any fancy equipment and by avoiding the store-bought stuff you’re not only saving money, you’re also saving your body from nasty additives like soy, preservatives and GMOs.
Yields 3-4 servings
- 1 tbsp mayo
- 2 tsps orange juice
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 tsp lime zest
- 2 tsps grapefruit juice
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 stalks celery, sliced thinly
- 1 heaped tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 green (spring) onions, finely chopped
- 2 small carrots, peeled and julienned or sliced very thinly
- 1 1/3 cup shredded green cabbage (this is a correction to the original recipe that called for 1/3 cup cabbage)
- Whisk the lime zest, orange, lime and grapefruit juices together with the mayo and oil.
- Toss dressing over the vegetables and stir in the cilantro. Chill until needed, will keep for at least four days in the fridge (perhaps longer but it was gone by day four in our house!)