Sometimes simplicity wins, and this cranberry kale salad is definitely a win! I love the combination of the salty bacon crunch, the bittersweet kale, the tangy cranberries, and the zingy red onion. It’s one of those salads that’s crazy easy to make yet hits all those buttons! Ooh, and it’s completely autoimmune protocol friendly too, so another win! And, if you’re planning a turkey dinner sometime this holiday season, it’s a great side dish (although, it’s one of those salads that’s lovely beside almost any protein!).
Note: pine nuts are a lovely addition to this salad! Add 1/3-1/2 a cup when you mix in the other ingredients! (pine nuts are not AIP, however)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 8 ounces bacon
- 1.5 medium bunches of kale, torn into little pieces and tough stems discarded
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup finely sliced red onion
- Chop bacon finely and brown on the stovetop in a pan until crispy, 8-10 minutes. Drain excess fat and let cool.
- Toss kale with olive oil and mix with hands to coat. Mix in other ingredients, and toss to combine.