Looking for a sneaky way to up the nutrient value of a decadent dessert? How about adding 3 servings of veggies, 1 serving of high antioxidant fruit, and 20g of protein from Collagen to gooey, warm chocolate cake? Yep! This Molten Lava Cake actually combines Dr. Sarah Ballantyne’s Collagen Veggie Blend, my new collaboration with Vital Proteins, with bittersweet chocolate.
This Molten Lava Cake recipe is my most creative use for Collagen Veggie Blend so far, but I want to see yours! Vital Proteins and I very intentionally kept the fruit servings of the blend to a minimum, so that you can control the sweetness by adding honey or additional fruit, and so that you can layer it with your favorite flavors. To highlight the amazing recipe-creating talent in this community and the versatility of this blend, I’m hosting the Collagen Veggie Blend Recipe Contest!
I want to see your most creative recipes using Collagen Veggie Blend! I will be selecting 8 finalists out of all the recipe submissions and sharing them on this website. Readers will then pick their 4 favorite submissions, and the 4 winners will receive 6 tubs of Collagen Veggie Blend AND have their recipe included in a special printed booklet that will arrive along with every tub of Collagen Veggie Blend! Plus, 4 remaining finalists will receive a Collagen Veggie Blend Essentials Pack
I hope this recipe serves as inspiration for you. I’m so excited to see all your submissions!! You can get all the details and find out how to enter here. *NEW Deadline for submission is now June 1st!
I’ve also been enjoying seeing all the creativity from those of you using the #VitalVeggies hashtag!! Above are a few of my favorites!
And now for my kids new favorite dessert (that I feel AMAZING about giving to them!)!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 4 oz semisweet or bittersweet chocolate
- 4 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 scoops (42g) Collagen Veggie Blend
- additional 1-2 Tbsp each of coconut oil and cocoa powder to prepare ramekins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F and prepare four 6-oz ramekins. If you plan to serve in ramekins, there’s no need to grease and flour them. If you wish to inverse lava cakes onto a plate to serve, grease ramekins with coconut oil and dust with cocoa powder.
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave on low power. (Alternately, you can melt in a double boiler.) Stir until smooth and let cool while preparing other ingredients.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs, vanilla, salt and maple syrup if using with a hand mixer until light and frothy, about five minutes (this can seem like an eternity with a hand mixer, but hang in there because it’s worth it!).
- Pour Collagen Veggie Blend over the chocolate and then egg mixture over the top. Then gently fold all the ingredients together until complete combined.
- Pour batter into prepared ramekins (they should be filled to within 3/4” of the top). Place the ramekins on a baking sheet and place in the oven (you can chill the ramekins for a few hours if you want to make them ahead of time, just make sure you bring them back to room temperature before baking).
- Bake for 10-11 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Enjoy!