Seaweeds may be the most nutrient-dense vegetables out there. They are rich sources of a variety of essential minerals, including iodine, calcium, iron, copper, magnesium, manganese, molybdenum, phosphorus, potassium, selenium, vanadium, and zinc (in addition to about four dozen more trace minerals known to be essential for health!). They are high in carotenoids (antioxidants phytochemicals that are also precursers to Vitamin A), vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K and vitamins B1, B2, B3, B5 and B6. They are also one of the few plant sources of the long-chain omega-3 fat DHA.
Seaweed intake also reduces cancer risk, reduces inflammation, reduces cardiovascular disease risk, promotes overall vascular health, and seaweed even has some antiviral properties! Yep, that’s some pretty great stuff. See Why Seaweed is Amazing!
200+ Healthy and Delicious Recipes
20 Meal Plans for a variety of goals
I LOVE this book. The science is awesome. I’ve learned a ton without feeling overwhelmed. The paleo principles just takes my understanding to the next level!!!Janet
So, I’ve started making seaweed salad part of our usual rotation and this version with mango and avocado has become a family favorite. My preference is to use a 6-ounce bag of Mixed Sea Vegetables from Sea Tangle (available from Amazon and Thrive Market), since it’s a lovely combination of several sea vegetables, some not easy to buy individually. You can, of course, substitute the Mixed Sea Vegetables for your favorite dried or fresh sea vegetables.
Avocado Mango Seaweed Salad
Yield 4-6 servings
- 1 6-oz bag mixed sea vegetables
- 1/2 english cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 Tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 avocados, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 large mango, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Rehydrate seaweed according to package directions. Rinse well and drain completely in a sieve.
- Thinly slice cucumber using the finest setting on a mandoline slicer (or as thin as you possibly can with a sharp knife).
- Combine cucumber and rehydrated seaweed in medium bowl.
- Combine honey, lemon juice, olive oil, and sesame oil, and add to cucumber and seaweed mixture. Toss to coat.
- Add sesame seeds, avocado and mango and gently toss to combine. Serve immediately.