After 15 months of dedication and hard work, I am thrilled to announce the release of my first book:
The Paleo Approach
Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal Your Body
I am visiting select cities for book signings. Visit my events page to see the see the current schedule and RSVP for events near you.
Read some of the first reviews of The Paleo Approach:
- A Clean Plate review
- Paleo Parents review
- Autoimmune Paleo review
- AIP Lifestyle review
- Paleo for Women review
- Heather Spergel review
- Phoenix Helix review
- Books and Chocolate review
- Essential Wellness for Health and Home review
- Wellness Mama review
- Brittany Angell review
- The Autoimmune Paleo Breakthrough review
- John Koenig Stuff I Like review
- Alt-ternative Autoimmune Review
- This Love is Ours Review
- Paleo Magazine Review
- Kaiku Lifestyle Review
- Cave Girl Eats Review (including a video review)
- 20 Something Allergies Review
- Simple and Merry Review
- She Swings on a Star Review
- Cake Cooks Gluten Free Review
- Grass Fed Girl Review
- Life and Self Review
- Radicata Medicine Review
- The Domestic Man Review
- Rooted Blessings Review
- Breaking Muscle Review
- Katrina Runs Review
- Nourish Your Temple Review
Also, be sure to check out recent interviews discussing The Paleo Approach:
- Balanced Bites Podcast (listen online, via iTunes, or you can also read full text of the interview)
- Episode 77 of the Paleo View podcast (listen online, via iTunes and/or read show notes)
- Born Primal Podcast (listen online or via iTunes)
- Health Nuts Podcast (listen online or via iTunes)
- Smarter Science of Slim (listen online)
- Underground Wellness Radio (listen online)
- Blog Talk Radio (listen online)
- Examiner.com (combination interview and review)
- Healthline (my comments are included in an article discussing the link between wheat, dairy and MS flares)
- Whole 30 (interview)
- Everyday Paleo (listen online or via iTunes)
- Working Motherhood (listen online)
- Livin La Vida Low Carb (listen online)
- That Paleo Show (listen online)
- Paleo Magazine (listen online)
So, let me tell you more about this book that I wrote. The Paleo Approach is a complete guide to using diet and lifestyle to manage autoimmune disease. It answers all of the whats, the whys, and the hows. This is the book that I wish I had had at my fingertips 15 years ago.
What is The Paleo Approach? This is the official blurb:
An estimated 50 million Americans suffer from some form of autoimmune disease. If you’re among them, you may know all too well how little modern medicine can do to alleviate your condition. But that’s no reason to give up hope. In this groundbreaking book, The Paleo Approach, Sarah D. Ballantyne, Ph.D., draws upon current medical research and her own battle with an autoimmune disorder to show how you can become completely symptom-free—the natural way.
The Paleo Approach is the first book ever to show you how to adapt the Paleo diet and lifestyle to bring about a full recovery. Read it to learn why foods marketed as “healthy”—such as whole grains, soy, and low-fat dairy—can contribute to the development of autoimmune conditions. Discover what you can eat to calm your immune system, resolve inflammation, and help your body heal itself. Learn which simple lifestyle changes—along with changes in diet—will make the biggest difference for your health.
If you’re concerned that “going Paleo” will break the bank or require too much time in the kitchen preparing special foods, there’s no need to worry. In the The Paleo Approach, Dr. Ballantyne provides expert tips on how to make the switch easily and economically. Complete foods lists with strategies for the day-to-day—how stay within your food budget, where to shop for what you need, how to make the most out of your time in the kitchen, and how to eat out—will take all the guesswork out of going Paleo. Simple strategies for lifestyle adjustments, including small changes that can make a huge difference, will guide you through the most important lifestyle changes to support healing.
Have a complicated condition that requires medical intervention, medication or supplements? Dr. Ballantyne also walks you through the most useful medical tests, treatments and supplements (as well as the most counterproductive) to open a dialogue with your physician to best support your healing.
I have to admit that I have fallen in love with the medium of an actual book. It is allowing me to tie ideas together and explain concepts in more detail than I could ever accomplish with a blog post. I get to organize every topic related to autoimmune disease in a way that is easy to read, easy to find the answers to your questions, and links together concepts so all the pieces of the puzzle fall into place for you. This book explains some detailed science about how foods we eat (as well as lifestyle factors like physical activity and sleep) interact with and affect the gut barrier and the immune system. While the focus of this book is on those with autoimmmune disease, most of the concepts detailed in the book are broadly applicable.
The book is divided into two parts and covers all of the following topics:
- the most current understanding of the causes of autoimmune disease,
- how the immune system works and what goes wrong in autoimmune disease
- how diet and lifestyle factors contribute to the development and perpetuation of autoimmune disease,
- the links between autoimmune disease and gluten sensitivity, leaky gut, and gut dysbiosis
- the links between autoimmune disease and nutritional deficiencies
- the links between stress, hormone dysregulation and inadequate sleep an autoimmune disease
- diet recommendations to manage autoimmune disease
- the whys behind foods to exclude
- the whys behind foods to include
- navigating food sensitivities (FODMAPs, histamine, salicylates, and sulfates) and bacterial/yeast overgrowths
- lifestyle recommendations to manage autoimmune disease
- priorities for exercise
- stress management strategies
- how much sleep should you get
- how to protect your circadian rhythms
- how to regulate hunger hormones
- troubleshooting and dealing with the “vicious cycles”
- what to expect as you transition
- supplements and diagnostic tests that may help (and ones that probably won’t)
- navigating prescription medications and working with your doctor
- how to reintroduce foods after your autoimmune disease is in remission
- complete food lists
- what foods can you eat?
- what can you drink?
- what foods should be consumed in limited quantities?
- vitamin and mineral content of included foods
- food sources of micronutrients that people with autoimmune disease are commonly deficient in
- healing/super foods to eat more of
- the importance of eating “snout to tail”
- sources of inulin fiber and insoluble fiber
- priorities for tight budgets
- tips on day-to-day implementation like how to eat this way within a family, eating out, and traveling
It is my hope that this book will be the ultimate resource for people looking to manage and reverse autoimmune disease effectively and naturally. I also hope that it will bridge the gap between healthcare providers (it contains nearly 1200 scientific citations) and patients looking for better solutions than drugs that don’t work well and come with crazy side effects. This book will provide all of the information you need to start on your own journey of healing today. But, if you need more, never fear! The Paleo Approach will soon be followed by a companion cookbook that will provide over 180 recipes to make the diet aspects of these recommendations easier (more information on The Paleo Approach Cookbook coming soon!).
Interested in learning even more about The Paleo Approach? This video from my YouTube Channel is just a quick tour (the book is so big that giving you a broad overview takes 13 minutes!) but you get to see just how comprehensive and detailed this book is.