October 12, 2012 in Show Notes
Our tenth show!
Ep. 10: Beauty Products and Other Potential Hazards
In this episode, Stacy and Sarah invite Hayley Mason of The Food Lovers’ Kitchen and Liz Wolfe of Cave Girl Eats to come answer all your questions about healthy beauty products and how to avoid other environmental toxins. Are mercury amalgam fillings really that toxic? Should you avoid all plastics? Are microwaves okay to use? And why is it that so many paleo ladies stopped washing their hair? We answer all this and more in a very action packed 105 minutes!
Click the picture above to be taken to iTunes
or download and listen by clicking the PodBean player below
If you enjoy the show, please review it in iTunes!
The Paleo View (TPV), Episode 10: Beauty Products and Other Potential Environmental Hazards
- 0:00 – Introduction
- 1:18 – News and Views
- Dutch Wonderland
- Carnegie Science Museum
- Tellus Science Museum
- Bed and Breakfasts: Often times they are cheaper than the area hotels, yet nicer, more intimate and breakfast is cooked for you!
- The traditional 10th wedding anniversary gift is tin or aluminium (and not an extravagant party like Stacy and I did). Maybe Stacy’s podcast wife Sarah would like an aluminum cookware set?
- 10:16 – Science with Sarah: Multiple chemical sensitivity
- 18:17 – Questions and answers
- Our guests this week:
- Paleo Magazine, where Liz has a column
- Should I remove my amalgam fillings to help my Graves Disease?
- So there is a lot of competing voices in the amalgam debate. Most dentists and researchers seem to believe that there is little risk from even a mouthful of amalgams. The majority position is that you’d absorb more mercury eating a can of tuna than having an amalgam filling.
- But you’ll often find anecdotes about people removing mercury amalgam fillings and improving their health. The official position of The Paleo View is that the plural of anecdote is anecdotes and not evidence, however we cannot rule out that removing your fillings won’t be beneficial.
- That said, I, Matthew, have no fillings and teeth like misshapen granite, but I think I’d opt for the more expensive fillings that are more non-reactive such as porcelain, over the amalgam and composite fillings were I ever to need one.
- Wellness Mama on tooth remineralization
- Paleo Magazine on The Dental Diet by Liz (only one part seems to be available to non-subscribers)
- Part one of Hayley’s series on her thyroid condition
- What natural products are you using?
- I’m going to try to keep up with all these products and references that are being tossed about, but keep in mind I still use the cheapest bottle of Suave I can find because I am a man and I am lazy.
- The Oil Cleansing Method
- Primal Life Organics
- The OraWellness Brushing Blend used by Wellness Mama and Liz
- Primal Life Organics Tooth Powder
- Liz on the No Poo method and her results
- Sarah on No Poo
- Grandma’s Lye Soap
- Dr. Bronner’s Castile Soap
- Wilderness Family Naturals Deodorant
- Primal Life Organics Deodorant
- LaVanila Deodorant
- Me, Matt? Well, I have a medical condition that causes me to constantly sweat, even in 40 degree weather. I’ve given up hope of ever controlling that, even if I plated my armpits in aluminum alloys.
- Salt Spray, I guess?
- What is a Medical Aesthetician?
- Jane Iredale Mineral Makeup on Amazon and their website
- Did I hear books? Like as in by Liz Wolfe, Diane Sanfilippo, and Hayley Mason featuring her makeup work?
- Green Pastures Beauty Balm, which, and I can tell you from personal experience, does not smell so bad as to be an anaphrodisiac.
- Where do you get all this coconut oil? Try Tropical Traditions!
- Stacy’s hair care products
- Biomega brand shampoo
- Holistix Argan Oil Treatment
- How do I treat my hair loss and itchy scalp?
- What are your thoughts on nonstick, plastic containers and microwaves?
- Should I do this liver detox?
- By the way, anyone who says the will detoxify you, but mentions no specific toxin that they are targeting is trying to sell you something, not heal you. Toxins have names, after all, and react independently to specific treatments.
- 1:39:49- Paleo Parenting
- 1:47:40 – Outro
Support us by shopping on Amazon (below) or Donating through Paypal (below) or shopping through links on our sidebars, please!