Kelly Bejelly is the recipe developer, writer and photographer behind the popular grain-free food blog, A Girl Worth Saving. She is the author of the cookbook, Paleo Eat: 101 Comforting Gluten-Free, Grain-Free and Dairy-Free Recipes for the Foodie in You (available in November). After being diagnosed as pre-diabetic in 2009, in a last ditch effort to save herself, she tried the Paleo diet. Within six months, she lost 65 lbs, normalized her blood sugars and ended her battle with mental anxiety and depression. Her cooking style focuses on “Paleo Cooking from Heart ™” For even more of her recipes delivered to your phone or computer, you can follow her on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook.
I probably get asked once a week if I’m from Hawaii. I’m used to it now, but for a while I was considering it a sign from the Universe that I should move to Hawaii. However, the husband disagreed with me and then showed me a Youtube video of a house being eaten alive by lava, and I quickly realized I have Ifestiophobia.
Yes, I had to look that word up too.
So the closest I will ever come to living in the lovely tropical land of Hawaii is when I cook up a big batch of Paleo Hawaiian Burgers and wear a hula skirt and lei.
The best part of my personal Hawaiian party is my son (who is turning the big 3 this month) dancing around with me while we listen to Super Diamond rock out “Rebel in Blue Jeans.”
If you are looking for the perfect dish to serve to start your own personal Hawaiian party, these burgers can’t be beat! The pineapple really makes this dish, so if you’re thinking, hey, I don’t need the pineapple, yes, you do. Don’t skip it.
If you want, go crazy and have two slices. I never get lucky enough to do this, as my son manages to scarf most of them down before I can even take a bite. But if you are lucky enough to grab more than one pineapple slice, go for it! And now for the recipe that can turn an ordinary supper into a Hawaiian party!
- Serves: 4
- Prep Time: 20 minutes (includes time for grilling pineapple)
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 1lb ground beef (80% lean)
- ½ small onion, minced
- 2 thick slices of bacon, diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon of sea salt
- 2 teaspoons of coconut aminos
- ½ cup of sliced green onion
- 4 slices of fresh pineapple, grilled
- Lettuce leaves or Paleo Hamburger Buns (buns are not AIP)
- In a large mixing bowl, add all the ingredients, and with your hands, mix until well combined.
- Shape four equally-sized balls and press flat into ½” thick patties.
- Place a skillet over medium high heat and let warm for 3 to 5 minutes. Then add the four patties.
- Let cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side, until dark brown, and then flip and repeat.
- Place the hamburgers on a lettuce wrap or hamburger bun and top with a grilled pineapple slice.