This frittata is perfect for a weekend brunch or for “breakfast for dinner” night (a wonderful way to save money on your grocery bill is to have breakfast for dinner from time to time). In addition to being an inexpensive dinner, this frittata is also a fast meal to prepare mid week. I save time by keeping chopped red pepper and onion in my freezer (it can be thrown into the pan frozen) and buying pre-sliced mushrooms. This recipe is similar to my Veggie Frittata Recipe but the sausage gives it a very different flavor and is a favorite of my husband and kids.
This frittata is awesome with US Wellness Meats pork breakfast sausage, but you can use any sausage you want. If you buy sausage with casings, you can either give it a good chop or remove the casings completely. This frittata also works with any of my homemade sausage recipes (it’s especially good with Hungarian Sausage and Garlic Beef Sausage) and using differently seasoned sausage is an easy way to make this frittata a little different every time. Another option with this frittata is to add a handful of chopped sun-dried tomato, a tsp of dried oregano and two handfuls of chopped black olives for a flavor reminiscent of pizza! Serves 3-4.
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cups mushrooms, thinly sliced (about 1 pound)
- 6-8 oz pork sausage, loose
- 8 eggs, beaten
- Heat an oven proof skillet (I like to use my 12” cast iron frying pan) over medium high heat and turn on broiler (on high) to preheat oven.
- Add sausage to pan and break apart with a wooden spoon or spatula while it cooks (no oil is necessary here if you have a nice fatty sausage; if you are using a very lean sausage, add a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil).
- Add onion, pepper and mushroom and sauté, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are cooked (8-10 minutes).
- Add beaten eggs. Let cook on stove top 1-2 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Place skillet in oven and broil until eggs are completely cooked, puffed up and starting to brown on top (about 7-10 minutes, varies oven to oven so watch carefully) .
- Serve and enjoy!