This versatile salad has a simple, fresh flavor that so delicious beside just about any meat, from poached fish to grilled lamb chops. It keeps very well so it’s still tasty as leftovers the next day. And it has a perfect flavor to bring to a barbecue!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: None
Yields: 4 servings
- 1½ large English cucumbers
- 1-2 tsp Salt (for salting the cucumber)
- 4 large green onions
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice (or use a good quality bottled Lemon Juice)
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/8 tsp fresh cracked Pepper
1. Slice cucumber very finely (I like to use my Mandoline Slicer set to 1/8” thick). Sprinkle liberally with salt and let sit in a colander in your sink for 1 hour.
2. Rinse cucumber thoroughly (taste a piece to make sure you’ve rinsed all the salt off). Let the cucumber slices drain on paper towels or a clean tea towel to dry completely.
3. Slice green onions. Finely chop cilantro. Finely zest lemon. Combine onions, cilantro, lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil and cracked pepper and stir to combine.
4. Pour dressing over the cucumber, stir to incorporate and serve! You can refrigerate this salad for several hours up to overnight; simply give it a stir to redistribute the dressing before serving.