February 24, 2012 in Breakfast
What a discovery! A warm, hearty hot cereal full of flavor and as versatile as traditional porridge and just as easy too! It reheats very well so you can save time during the week by making a big batch and reheating in the microwave each morning (just add a little water to thin it out to your liking). You can also grind the nuts in the evening to save some time in the morning. My kids love it with some honey added for sweetness, but this is completely optional (I like it without any honey). Base recipe is for one bowl (about 1 cup).
- ¼ cup Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- ¼ cup Raw Walnuts
- ¼ cup Sliced Almonds
- 2 Tbsp Raw Pepitas (Shelled Pumpkin Seeds)
- 1 Tbsp Flaxseed Meal
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ Tbsp Honey, to taste (optional)
1. Process coconut, walnuts, almonds, pepitas and flaxseed together in a blender or food processor until finely ground and blade starts to seize.
2. Boil water in a kettle or in the microwave. Pour into a microwave-safe container (I like to use a Pyrex measuring cup) and mix in honey if using.
3. Stir ground nuts into hot water.
4. Heat in microwave on high for 30 seconds. Stir once more. Let sit for 3-5 minutes to thicken. Enjoy!
Variations: Just like traditional porridge, you can stir in some extra ingredients at the end to change the flavor. Here are some ideas, but feel free to experiment!
- Spiced Porridge: Stir in ½ tsp Ground Nutmeg and ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon before eating.
- Apple-Cinnamon Porridge: Stir in 2 Tbsp Freeze Dried Apple pieces (or apple sauce) and ½ tsp Ground Cinnamon.
- Maple-Nut Porridge: Use 1 Tbsp Maple Syrup instead of honey and sprinkle 2 Tbsp chopped Pecans over the top.
- Banana-Nut Porridge: Omit honey and mash in half of a ripe banana instead. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp chopped Pecans over the top.
- Blueberry Porridge: Stir in 1/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (or any other berry you like).
- Peaches and Cream Porridge: Stir in 1/3 cup chopped fresh or preserved Peaches and 1-2 Tbsp heavy cream or unsalted butter.
- Pumpkin Pie Porridge: Stir in ¼ cup Pumpkin Puree (fresh or canned) and 1/8 tsp (a good pinch) each of Ground Cinnamon, Ground Ginger, Ground Nutmeg , Ground Allspice, and Ground Cloves.
- Butter and Salt Porridge: Stir in ½ tsp Salt (to taste) and let 2 Tbsp unsalted butter melt over the top.
- Chocolate Porridge: Stir in 1 Tbsp Cocoa Powder.
Do you need help finding any ingredients? Check out Important Pantry Items for the Paleo Baker.