My family loves to barbecue even when it’s freezing out, but you could always cook this chicken under the broiler or on an indoor grill. The best part about this chicken is that it’s just as good as leftovers as it is hot off the grill, so we always make enough for at least two meals. The seasoning mix is inspired by a recipe in Alton Brown’s I’m Just Here for the Food: Version 2.0 My toddler actually loves this chicken and will easily eat an entire thigh by herself.
Arugula pesto is very easy to make and is delicious with a variety of meats, or mixed into some mashed cauliflower, or tossed with some roasted vegetables… I like it with this grilled chicken and I hope you like it too!
Ingredients (Arugula Pesto):
- 4 cups fresh arugula
- 6 cloves garlic – Do Not Peel
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
1.Heat a non-stick skillet or well-seasoned cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add garlic still in the peel to the pan. Stir or shake the pan frequently so the garlic rotates and cooks on all side. Cook until garlic is starting to brown and is feeling fairly soft to touch, about 7-8 minutes.
2.Let garlic cool, then peel. Place in a blender or food processor with the other ingredients. Pulse until it’s a paste. Enjoy!
Ingredients (Barbecued Chicken):
- 10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 4 pounds)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp fresh cracked pepper
- 1 tsp salt
1. Mix spices in a bowl. Toss with chicken and rub around with your hands to thoroughly coat (don’t forget to wash well afterward!).
2. Place on a hot grill. Cook approximately 10 minutes on the first side and 8 minutes on the second side, or until completely cooked. You may have to adjust your cooking time depending on the heat of your barbecue.