I love pumpkin pie, pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, basically anything pumpkin, especially if it’s sweet. These bars were originally inspired by Elena Amsterdam’s Pumpkin Bars, which are delightful but quite different from what I have created. I wanted to create a square that captures the flavor of my pumpkin pie recipe, a family secret that is such a unique and wonderful flavor that it has converted non-pumpkin pie lovers. This is the result of quite a few iterations: a moist, delicious square that is every bit as satisfying as a piece of my pumpkin pie but avoids dairy, grains and legumes.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup brown sugar/sucanat
- 2 Tbsp flax meal
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 tsp coconut flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ¼ cup walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9”x9” pan.
2. Place walnuts in food processor or blender and pulse until well ground and starting to form a paste.
3. Add remaining ingredients and pulse to form a thick batter (or mix by hand).
4. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes until set.
5. Cool completely in pan. Cut into squares.
Do you need help finding any ingredients? Check out Important Pantry Items for the Paleo Baker.