Curry-Braised Kale and Cabbage
November 23, 2011 in Veggies
One of my biggest challenges with eating paleo is keeping variety in vegetable side dishes. I seem to crave more vegetable variety now, maybe because I’m eating vegetables at almost every meal instead of just supper. This recipe is a fabulous accompaniment to roast pork or indian-inspired dishes (depicted with cauliflower rice and Sébastien Noël’s recipe for Butter Chicken).
- 2 cups kale, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 apple (I used rome beauty, but granny smith would be a good choice too)
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 ½ Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 ½ tsp curry powder
- 2-3 Tbsp water
1. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to hot pan. Stir in onion and let cook 2-3 minutes.
2. Add apple and curry powder to pan. Sauté 3-4 minutes until onion is starting to soften.
3. Add kale, cabbage and 1-2 Tbsp water to pan. Stir.
4. Continue cooking until vegetables are soft, 7-8 minutes, stirring frequently. If vegetables start to stick to the pan, add another 1 Tbsp water (you will almost certainly have to do this at least once).