November 20, 2011 in Muffins and Coffee Cakes
Both my daughters love bananas, but eating half a banana is a common occurrence. So, we tend to have alot of leftover bananas in our house. I take all those half bananas, peel them, and toss them into a resealable plastic bag in my freezer. When I have the equivalent of 3 bananas, I make paleo banana muffins. Here is my favorite variation (yield: 12 muffins):
- 2/3 cup raw macadamia nuts, chopped
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes/chips, chopped (or use shredded)
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 3 ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted and cooled
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Toast macadamia nuts and coconut flakes on a baking sheet in the oven until starting to brown, about 6-8 minutes, stirring every 2-3 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, combine almond flour, coconut flour, salt and baking soda. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, mashed banana, honey, coconut oil, lemon juice and vanilla.
4. Pour wet mixture over dry mixture and stir to combine. Add toasted macadamia nuts and coconut.
5. Spoon batter into greased muffin tin and bake for 30 minutes.
Do you need help finding any ingredients? Check out Important Pantry Items for the Paleo Baker.